How to calculate Target HR for fat-burning?

Options
BMcC9
BMcC9 Posts: 4,378 Member
If I use the "65 or 70% of (226-age)" formula to calculate optimal HR while exercising, I get 111 to 120 bpm. But working at that level (according to my chest-strap HRM) doesn't feel like I'm working. I feel like I'm holding myself back in order to stay "that low" over a 30 min session.

Is working in the plus or minus 80% range (~ 138) for 30 minutes counter-productive if I want to maximize fat burning? (I know there comes a point where one is working anerobically, which doesn't burn fat effectively)

Or should I stay in the 120 range and just keep going and going and going for significantly longer stints? My legs and endurance would have no problem with the extra time at the lower level of effort. It would feel more like cruzing, than challenging. Since I work out at home, there is no handy gym-trainer I can ask. (if anyone else has access to a trainer for some professional rule-of-thumb generic guidelines, I'd apreciate it.)

FYI, I've always had strong legs / cardio endurance / weaker upper body strength.

Replies

• BMcC9
    Options
    A puzzle to go with today's stats ....

Two session (one before and one after supper) both at a pace of ~118-120 bpm --- which complies with the "70% of (226-age) formula ....

Ell #1 5.2 laps (1.3 miles) / 32 mins
    Ell #2 8.5 laps (2.13 miles) / 53 mins

Combined Total: 13.7 laps (3.43 miles) / 85 mins.

If a family commitment hadn't been on the books, I could probably have easily handled a 3rd set of at least 30 mins at the same pace.

Maybe slower IS better :huh:
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the best place for you is but for me 120 bpm is so easy I could do it for hours and need to push up past 140 to feel like I am working. I am 51-years old and know range is supposed to be age dependent. If I do HIIT my hr goes way up and then I feel I a working. Do you try that very often?
  • BMcC9
    Options
    I don't know about the best place for you is but for me 120 bpm is so easy I could do it for hours and need to push up past 140 to feel like I am working. I am 51-years old and know range is supposed to be age dependent. If I do HIIT my hr goes way up and then I feel I a working. Do you try that very often?

I am new to having an actual cardio machine on site, so HIITs only JUST became an option that has not yet been explored. The manual with my elliptical suggested

" For effective exercise, your heart rate should be maintained at a level between 70% and 85% of your maximum heart rate
    as you exercise. This is known as your "training zone" ....

AGE UNCONDITIONED CONDITIONED
    TRAINING ZONE TRAINING ZONE
    (BEATS/MIN) (BEATS/MIN)

55 127-155 122-159

For Fatburning - If your goal is to burn fat, adjust
    the intensity of your exercise until your heart rate is
    near the low end of your training zone as you exercise.

For Aerobics - For aerobic exercise,
    adjust the intensity of your exercise until your heart
    rate is near the middle of your training zone.

(Presumably, the high end is for the high points of HIIT.)

So I was going ~138 for 30 minutes, which was pushing hard, but not to the point of collapse. But by the Talk Test (perceived personal effort) I might be straying into anaerobic (too-hard for mostly fat-burning) efforts.

I also just read something about "smaller percent of more total calories burned (higher speed) is better than higher percent of lower total calories" so now I am TOTALLY confused about optimal zone!
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Do I need to split the difference (go for low ~130s) :ohwell: so that I have just enough tension that my speed doesn't make The Beast rock slightly from side to side? :huh: