Doctor Comments RANT

Options
Artemis726
Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
:grumble: So I knew that my weight has jumped quite a bit in the past month. At my last visit, I had gained 13lbs, and today I had gained another 8lbs in 1 month. :embarassed: They have me at 23 weeks (25 based on LMP) and up 21lbs. I didn't think that was so bad, though I know a big jump isn't so great.

Now- I log here and I know approximately what I burn every day, and it is physically impossible for ALL of that to be 'real' weight. I eat between 1800-2100 calories a day, and yes I do get too many carbs and have indulged over the holidays. Oh well. Tis the season. LOL! Plus, my appointment was later in the afternoon after more food and more swelling. Still, I was dreading it because I just knew.

First thing my doc asked me was if I had gained a lot of weight with my other pregnancies. Well, yes, I did as a matter of fact. He then told me I should not have any more chips, french fries, or pizza and I needed to watch my sodium (I do have a problem with too much of that). Then he told me that now is the time that women gain weight, and I am far too attractive a woman to pack on 40-50 lbs.:angry: He said to eat more fruits, vegetables, and salads.

A quick flip through my records would have shown him that I have battled eating disorders in the past. I am recovered, but it's still not something I need to hear about when I am growing a baby. :explode:

Anyways, I really needed to vent about it. My husband was livid when he heard about it, but I am just kind of depressed. I'm not going to do much different, just clean up my eating, get back to weighing and measuring, eat less carbs and sodium, get more walking, and maybe aim to not get over 2000 calories ever.

Anyone else have any problems like this? In his defense, I normally adore this doctor and he is very sweet. I think it was a long day for him and he was crabby.

Replies

• TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Wow, that was so insensitive of him! I'm sorry you had to hear that, especially given your past. Does that doctor really think you don't already know that high sodium and snack foods are not good for one's weight?

I'm almost at 23 weeks now, and I have put on close to 25 lbs -which is more than in your case! I called my midwife about it because I was concerned, and she said it was completely normal, especially given that at least 14 lbs of it was nausea gain. If you look at the "how much weight have you gained" thread on here (which I think I saw you on), you will see that people have all kinds of spurts and plateaus at different times in the pregnancy, and that there is a wide range of normal. I admire you for keeping up with your logging and staying at a fairly consistent calorie count. I totally understand your need to rant, but try to go easy on yourself and do what you feel your body needs--and what you can to get through the day. A lot of my eating has been pregnancy survival eating!

(Btw, you might want to join us over at the May 2013 Due Dates thread! It's a great group with really supportive women.)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Keep eating and exercising and staying active and healthy. I won't even let the doctor talk about my weight during pregnancy. I have had that rule for all of my pregnancies. My first 2 I gained 45-60 pounds, but all the weight was off a month after birth. I don't need anything that adds more stress.

BTW - if you are having problems with swelling - swimming can really help with that if you have the option.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Then he told me that now is the time that women gain weight, and I am far too attractive a woman to pack on 40-50 lbs.

THAT is totally unprofessional and uncalled for.

I would seriously consider finding another doctor who doesn't make comments like these.

As for your calorie intake, excess salt and insufficient water intake can lead to a whole lot of water weight retention, so I second trying to get that down. Measuring, while a PITA, is the only way to be sure you're not overeating while tracking, so I recommend that also. I think your calorie goals are quite reasonable though so I wouldn't lower them.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Then he told me that now is the time that women gain weight, and I am far too attractive a woman to pack on 40-50 lbs.

THAT is totally unprofessional and uncalled for.

I would seriously consider finding another doctor who doesn't make comments like these.

As for your calorie intake, excess salt and insufficient water intake can lead to a whole lot of water weight retention, so I second trying to get that down. Measuring, while a PITA, is the only way to be sure you're not overeating while tracking, so I recommend that also. I think your calorie goals are quite reasonable though so I wouldn't lower them.

What an a - hole! Can you find another doctor? One who actually understands those recovering from eating disorders and knows not to "trigger"....... It's a sensitive time in your life and I think you deserve a sensitive doctor.....one who gives better advice than you're "too pretty" to gain a lot of weight. :flowerforyou: