c25k

Options
demilade
demilade Posts: 402 Member
I have signed up for a 5k run so I need to get training.

Does anyone want to join me in c25k? I'm doing a practice tonight but I officially start saturday.

Replies

• Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have considered doing this. (Tried it once). I have trouble running because I have a very large chest (at least 48 DDD, but lately the "girls" are not being contained! :noway: )

Since I've been walking 2 miles a day, I might try it again.

If you google it, you might find some music you can download that tell you when to walk and when to run.
  • emilym820
    emilym820 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I don't think I am in good enough shape for it right now. I did it last year and actually ran 5 different 5Ks that year. I could just kick myself for falling off the wagon. The pounds dropped off when I was running.
  • Julie_Donahue
    Options
    I just checked out the app store (iPhone) and there is a FREE C25K (official site) app that will allow you to use your own music and receive the prompts. I'm going to try it out. There is a paid upgrade (1.99), but I don't know if it's just ad free?!?!
  • grho
    grho Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Julie,I have the paid app-for android at least I think the difference is it doesn't shut off if your phone goes to sleep and you can go out of the app and leave it running in the background. Not sure if it is the same for iphone. Also, it is pretty pricey but I also have a bigger chest (38G) which makes running difficult. Based off of one of the other boards I saw on here I bought an Enell sports bra. They are pretty pricey but definitely worth it (I can do jumping jacks!). From what I hear they hold up for a long time too.
  • Julie_Donahue
    Options
    I have one of those (I think that's the brand), but I have outgrown it. :(
  • emilym820
    emilym820 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Julie,I have the paid app-for android at least I think the difference is it doesn't shut off if your phone goes to sleep and you can go out of the app and leave it running in the background. Not sure if it is the same for iphone. Also, it is pretty pricey but I also have a bigger chest (38G) which makes running difficult. Based off of one of the other boards I saw on here I bought an Enell sports bra. They are pretty pricey but definitely worth it (I can do jumping jacks!). From what I hear they hold up for a long time too.

Enell sports bras are sooo worth the money. Love mine!
  • Julie_Donahue
    Options
    I tried it last night on the treadmill. I made it about 18 minutes in, but I had finish out walking. I'll try it again. I may have to build up to it.
  • watchthis1970
    watchthis1970 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This fall I started to walk/run. I found an app run double, you can get a free two week trial, then I think it is $2 after that. when the weather is warmer I plan on staring back using the app. It tracks your distance by GPS and will tell you when to run and when to walk. I don't think it will work on the treadmill.

I loved the app, and I have never ever been a runner because of really crappy knees. After the first run or two I had no problems. Hubby and I are walking at the YMCA, he asked me last night if I will run at any point... I told him when I get a better bra!! LOL... We are going to the bra store tomorrow!
  • Julie_Donahue
    Options
    I tried it again (sort of) on Saturday. I didn't do the 60/90, I did 30/90. I ran for 30 seconds then walked 90. I made it through about 6 or 7 cycles. Gonna keep trying a little bit more each day!
  • c2hrist3a
    c2hrist3a Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Forgive me ladies but what is a c25k?

I have been running on the treadmill for about a year now and can make 3 miles in 45 minutes. It's been a long road, but the work is paying off. My goal is to run a 5k in the spring.

I am going to look into the Enell bra! I could really use a good sports bra.

Thanks for the info. :)
  • Julie_Donahue
    Options
    Forgive me ladies but what is a c25k?

Thanks for the info. :)

C25K is short for Couch to 5K. It's a program that says they can help you get from couch potato to running a 5 K in 9 weeks. You start out with mostly walking with short runnig burts. Over time you increase your run and decrease your walk.

Here is the official website: http://www.c25k.com/, but you can find lots of info by googling C25K.
  • demilade
    Options
    I did day 3 today, directly after 30ds, so i was a wee bit tired. lol, i was going to look at changeing my rout as all the jogging is on the uphill sections, then i decided to leave it as it is, may as well plug away on the hills. i cant see it taking 9 weeks, i might do each week twice.
  • Julie_Donahue
    Options
    I did it! I finished day one! :)
  • Cynduck
    Cynduck Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    There is an awesome podcast by Ullrey , I think that is his name. Search C25K. He talks you through it with music. You don't have to count or time, just listen to him. I really want to do it but last time I tried my knees hurt a lot. Maybe after I loose a little more?
  • Julie_Donahue
    Options
    I use an app that uses my music (or audio book) and cues me.

You can always try walking and powerwalking for now.
  • watchthis1970
    watchthis1970 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There are several different c25K apps, not all call for the same walk/ run ratios. Check out several. When I first started I couldn't run the full time I was suppose to, I would run as far as I could, then walk, then run again when I stopped sucking wind. Last week my husband and I ran and walked on the track at the YMCA. My app won't work inside as it is GPS. But I was just alternating my walking and running. My Hubby could go longer and faster than me, and his recovery time is less but we both did what we could and everything we did was better than sitting at home.
  • demilade
    Options
    Week 2 day 3 done and dusted. i can run for 31/2 mins and im finding im a little faster so i have to go a little further. I have no music etc, just waddle along listening to myself huff and puff :)
  • RobynUnfiltered
    RobynUnfiltered Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There are some cool free apps for this out there. Haven't tried just yet due to being at the tail end of Grad school, but i hope to try it in March.