Just over 20lbs to go...what are you doing?

Options
Qskim
Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
Hi ladies...I have lost around 86lbs now and am slowly losing the (maybe) last 20lbs. I began losing by swapping bad choices for good choices and not calorie counting. Then I found MFP and was set at 1200 over a year ago. I've kept it at this deliberately in spite of knowing my TDEE, bmr etc as there is a (relaxed) method to my thinking which includes roughly estimating calorie burn and calories eaten (still weigh food occasionally to see how I'm going) but it has also allowed me the room to move depending on social occasions which can b weekly.. I don't believe in being hungry so I am also quite happy to run into the red when I am hungry. I also have a wheat allergy (looking into this more when kids back at school) although i do risk the foods i shouldnt to get my fix. I weight/cardio train twice a week. 43 years old..5 kids - 19yrs to 10mths. I am gradually increasing cals as hunger has increased and planning on returning to walking (pushing pram up/downhill) when kids return to school as well..i think that'll help. So that's where I am at a brief glance!

I want to be inspired by women in a similar situation..lost a heap..how are you tackling the last 20 or so? If you sat low on cals how are you changing this if at all? Are you trying to finish it once and for all or happy with it slowly going down?

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting close to your goal! You have this!! The last few are slower, obviously, but you will get there!

I am at my weight goal as of yesterday...need to maintain it now! And really work on muscles more.
  • Qskim
    Options
    Thanks! I know I will get there! Just have to be patient! Congrats to you...maintenance, I have heard is harder than losing!
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    6 weeks of eating at maintenance level (~1650), up 4 pounds. This week I'm gonna knock it back hard and see what happens. Ready to break through this 6-month long plateau and say bye-bye to those last 20 pesky pounds!!!
  • Qskim
    Options
    I plateaued b4 Christmas, lost nothing for about 4 weeks so I took a break for about ten days although it was unintentional cos I was trying to see if I could lose the last 20lbs by jumping off MFP and focusing on whole foods (thinking I had the gist of it anyway). Well, rubbish started creeping in..lots of stuff I shouldn't eat (probably eating at maintenance level cos weight didnt go up) so back on the bandwagon I jumped, a little panicked. From prior experience with zigzagging I knew I could use this to my advantage so stayed strict with the 1200 level for a week n them bang started losing again just before Christmas. How long for I'm yet to find out although I know my exercise is my main problem but as I said...once kids back at school I can be more deliberate with it. I just really don't want to spend another year getting this off but is it unrealistic? I'm buying clothes to replace clothes I only bought a few months ago! That's the only reason lol..wardrobe!!
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    i have between 15lb to 20lb to lose. I was doing well until the end of October when I plateaued. My dad had a cataract operation and going to his house 2 or 3 times a day to do his eyedrops disrupted my routine. I never got back into it due to Christmas. I am trying to get back on track but I am finding it difficult to get in the correct mindset.
  • Qskim
    Options
    Ne of the biggest lesson I've learnt is that I'm actually ALWAYS motivated to be healthy so I focus primarily on that and not so much weight because it can fluctuate and not reward you constantly. This basic level of focus has helped me in essence stay on track because I now know that even when life throws a curve ball there is always something to be done towards the effort however small that keeps me working towards it and staying positive. So when there is a lull...and motivation is at half tank, I look at why it is and find ways to fire it up...reflect on goals, read through diary, research, return to routine even if it feels forced. Sometimes for me I'm worried about something like the car needing oil, or pantry a mess, xmas decorations still up, a bill needs paying and they nag at me enough to disrupt my motivation. So I have what I call administration days...clear out/up ready to start again. Those days are just as important to stay the course as exercise and are still work towards the goal.

Part of losing is realizing life has challenges and you see it for what it is cos it will always happen and you learn to manage it and keep going. Hope Dad better.
  • ewasmund
    Options
    I too am at the 20 lb mark. I recently took out wheat/dairy/soy/sugar/corn/peanuts and eggs. There seems to be a lot of research(web based) that suggests that all the inflammatory foods and gmo's that we put in our bodies is making us bloated and unable to process all of this. I have struggled with diary intolerance off and on my whole life. I still eat and am not hungry, but I feel a lot better and I have lost 8 lbs in a 2 week period. So now I am going to the gym more and focusing more on the calories that I am putting in.

For me, yes of course I want to look amazing and feel amazing, but I am finally starting to realize that eating nutritious meals and exercising IS living a good life. HAPPY MONDAY!
  • ijavagypsy
    Options
    Hi ladies...I have lost around 86lbs now and am slowly losing the (maybe) last 20lbs. I began losing by swapping bad choices for good choices and not calorie counting. Then I found MFP and was set at 1200 over a year ago. I've kept it at this deliberately in spite of knowing my TDEE, bmr etc as there is a (relaxed) method to my thinking which includes roughly estimating calorie burn and calories eaten (still weigh food occasionally to see how I'm going) but it has also allowed me the room to move depending on social occasions which can b weekly.. I don't believe in being hungry so I am also quite happy to run into the red when I am hungry. I also have a wheat allergy (looking into this more when kids back at school) although i do risk the foods i shouldnt to get my fix. I weight/cardio train twice a week. 43 years old..5 kids - 19yrs to 10mths. I am gradually increasing cals as hunger has increased and planning on returning to walking (pushing pram up/downhill) when kids return to school as well..i think that'll help. So that's where I am at a brief glance!

I'm not in a similar situation, but I must say that your story is very inspiring! I don't want to tolerate being hungry, either, so your success illustrates that, for some of us, a slower weight loss is preferable to weight gain!

I want to be inspired by women in a similar situation..lost a heap..how are you tackling the last 20 or so? If you sat low on cals how are you changing this if at all? Are you trying to finish it once and for all or happy with it slowly going down?
  • ijavagypsy
    Options
    Oops. Just wanted to tell you that your story is very inspirational and supportive to those of us who don't want to feel as if we are starving ourselves. Please keep up the good work!