Spin bike?

Options
2»

Replies

• lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I have a Spinner Pro spin bike and a Cycle Ops trainer. I love the spin bike, not so much the trainer (even though I love the bike I ride while on the trainer). We bought the spin bike on line and had it shipped to us.

The spin bike came with a few videos, but we did have to buy a computer for $150 to have MPH, RPM, distance, etc... data. I also subscribe to The Gym Box (web tv), whicch gives me at least 2 new spin workouts every week. It also gives me access to old workouts so I never get bored.

The Cycle Ops trainer came with a video or two as well. It's fine, I just don't feel as stable on it. It doesn't feel like the road to me. I like to do a lot of standing climbs and it feels odd on the trainer.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    the Garmin Edge 800 will work with a turbo trainer won't it - do I need to get anything extra for it?

It should but you need to ask TBY, he'll tell you :wink:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Thanks, TBY, yes don't think I'll be generating the same power as the pros

To be honest thinking if I need to factor in a mat (I have wooden floors) and tyres then I should keep at the lower end - Mag+ looks good and the Minoura B60-R has good reviews on a few sites too.

By the way, the Garmin Edge 800 will work with a turbo trainer won't it - do I need to get anything extra for it?

Thanks!

definitely factor in a mat if you've got wooden floors - the Tacx mat is overpriced for what it is - try the minoura or cycleop ones. Without the mat the racket from my trainer is terrible on the kitchen parquet. Plus, and there's no nice way of putting this - it'll catch the sweat... Perhaps also budget for a good electric fan if you havent already got one...

Tyres - well I've got the continental one, it's been great, but it was a complete and utter PIG to fit - ended up leaving it in a pan of hot water for 30 minutes then fitting it while it was hot, otherwise it wouldn't go over the rim on my Fulcrums. Then again, every tyre other than Vittoria's are like that on initial fitting with the Fulcrums, maybe it's just "italian sizing" :laugh:

Garmin 800 will work fine with the trainer, provided you've got the GCS10 cadence/speed sensor - I have a specific "trainer" profile set up in the 800, using a fixed wheel diameter (rather than the GPS calculated one) and simply select "trainer" and then menu/spanner/system/gps/GPS Mode = off. The head unit then stops looking for satelites and takes all its data from the GSC10 for distance/speed etc.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks, TBY, yes don't think I'll be generating the same power as the pros

To be honest thinking if I need to factor in a mat (I have wooden floors) and tyres then I should keep at the lower end - Mag+ looks good and the Minoura B60-R has good reviews on a few sites too.

By the way, the Garmin Edge 800 will work with a turbo trainer won't it - do I need to get anything extra for it?

Thanks!

definitely factor in a mat if you've got wooden floors - the Tacx mat is overpriced for what it is - try the minoura or cycleop ones. Without the mat the racket from my trainer is terrible on the kitchen parquet. Plus, and there's no nice way of putting this - it'll catch the sweat... Perhaps also budget for a good electric fan if you havent already got one...

Tyres - well I've got the continental one, it's been great, but it was a complete and utter PIG to fit - ended up leaving it in a pan of hot water for 30 minutes then fitting it while it was hot, otherwise it wouldn't go over the rim on my Fulcrums. Then again, every tyre other than Vittoria's are like that on initial fitting with the Fulcrums, maybe it's just "italian sizing" :laugh:

Garmin 800 will work fine with the trainer, provided you've got the GCS10 cadence/speed sensor - I have a specific "trainer" profile set up in the 800, using a fixed wheel diameter (rather than the GPS calculated one) and simply select "trainer" and then menu/spanner/system/gps/GPS Mode = off. The head unit then stops looking for satelites and takes all its data from the GSC10 for distance/speed etc.

Told ya he'd know :wink: :laugh:
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Told ya he'd know :wink: :laugh:

Thanks guys, really appreciate your considered input - hope I can be as knowledgable and helpful one day!!

I was going to get the GSC10 in the New Year anyway to help with my training in Spring so it's on my list. So now it's Trainer, Mat, GSC10 and tyres, :lol: !! So there are trainer specific tyres, interesting - will have to look into that too.

Which trainer do you reckon would suit me best - the Mag+ or the Minoura B60-R ? (Sorry, I promise I'll stop pinging back more questions soon!!!)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    at that end of the market, £20-30 can make a big difference to the build quality - can't actually say anything about the Minoura but the Cycleops stuff is usually pretty well made. At least it's only Tyre - not Tyres - just need one for the back. Oh - and don't whatever you do forget you've got the trainer tyre on and go out on the road... the trainer tyre compound and profile is such that you'll be lucky to get around the first corner.

:embarassed: Don't ask me how i know that. :embarassed:
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Haha oops!!

That's the other thing - isn't it a faff to keep changing tyres for outdoor rides then indoor sessions- I don't know if that would put me off using it, but you guys seem to do a pretty good mixture....unless you've got different bikes for each?!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    well - I've got 2 sets of wheels - the posh light summer and rufty-tufty heavy winter wheels - in summer, I've got the back wheel from the winter set fitted with the trainer tyre - in winter, the summer back wheel gets the trainer tyre. I can go from outside to indoor spec. in as long as it takes to swap a back wheel.