Anyone from Canada?

Options
rubybeach
rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
We're from the US, but living in Australia.......moving to Vancouver, BC in March. Babies due in May. We've been advised that we cannot see or speak to any doctors, midwives or hospitals until our work visa is approved.

Any tips on finding a doctor or midwife that late in the game? I've got some good advice from some other boards, looking for more input.

Replies

• vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm an hour away from Vancouver. As for finding a Dr... might be tricky since family doctors here are hard to find. You could easily get in to a clinic for blood work but those are just awful sometimes. As for a midwife you could just do a google search and I'm sure you could find one and that might be a better place to start. They are generally way more accepting especially if you explain your situation. When I called up one my friend recommended they took me in right away with no questions asked and though I have a family dr and an ob/gyn I chose a midwife.
  • 2204givme
    Options
    Hello i am from canada :) ontario i am 20 i been married 5 years and i have 3 ,also due in augest :)
  • 2204givme
    Options
    Hello i am from canada :) ontario i am 20 i been married 5 years and i have 3 ,also due in augest :)
    midwife is deff the way to go i had one and she was free :) but i dont no if thats out of ontario that applys too??
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Thanks! Excited to "house hunt" at the end of the month.......hopefully I'll have a visa and can find a midwife.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada and made a long distance move about 2 years ago. When I started my doctor search I went to a medical clinic near my house, asked if they were taking new patients and was put on their waiting list. A few weeks later I got a call for a "meet & greet" with the doc I was assigned to. I googled him before the meeting, at when we met he seemed nice enough (and young enough, didn't want to end up with someone who was close to retirement), and decided he was a keeper. When I got pregnant he referred me to an OB/GYN. Not sure about finding a midwife, but I would think your doc would be able to send you in the right direction.

One thing I like about the clinic scenario is that if my doc is unavailable, there are others I can see if I need to get in right away. At my old doc's office he was the only one there, so if he was unavailable I had to resort to a walk-in clinic, which I hated doing.

I would hope that any place you call will help you out/steer you in the proper direction, especially being pregnant and so far along!

Good luck!