Best Restaurants for Food Allergies?

Options
tikafly
tikafly Posts: 184 Member
It's soccer tournament season for us, and I am going to be doing a lot of travel the next few weekends. I am concerned about having to eat out at some point. I may end up in areas I am not familiar with, so I won't always know what options are available until a decision has to be made.

I have found Chili's to be great for me, but I need some alternatives. My allergies are beef, pork, & dairy.

Any suggestions for allergy-friendly restaurant chains - both sit down and fast food? Any other tips for eating out with allergies?

Replies

• lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to eat out. It always seems to be luck of the draw if ill react to a food. Because I have so many food issues it is hard to regulate what exactly goes into foods. I prefer to go someplace where I can order basic foods. Just a grilled chicken breast not the fancy chicken dish.

I also usually pack a cooler when traveling with breakfast and lunch foods. This helps me control my food for at least two meals which helps my calorie count, allergy issues, and money.

I don't necessarily have any specific suggestion for restaurants, sorry
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go someplace where I can order basic foods. Just a grilled chicken breast not the fancy chicken dish.

This is helpful. Thanks.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    There's an app called Happy Cow that will give you a list of local Vegi / Vegan Reasturants wherever you are!
    Best of Luck to you and your Season!
    :flowerforyou:
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Grocery stores and a cooler for me. About all I could have at a restaurant - an accommodating one - is salad and baked potato.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Not sure it is available every where but Subway in Oregon has gluten free available and the staff are trained to keep cross contamination to a minimum. Its ok if you do not have a problem with other things.

Otherwise a salad, baked potato, or rice may be a good option.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    http://www.allergyeats.com/

check out this website if you haven't already.....it's all about finding what you are looking for.....

Of course, before I go anywhere, I check the menu online and then call...maybe this can help you wean down your list though. good luck!
  • kionig
    kionig Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Chilis is pretty great re. allergies, also Qdoba gets an A, PF Changs,Outback, Fridays & Buffalo wild wings are ok. For fast food Wendys for basics, Jimmy Johns, Arbys, & Subway are ok. I always research online, & learn which places work for me. I've tried Olive Garden a few times with allergies, but they will literally kill you, so I do not reccomend them. I always keep food with me, so that I know I won't starve. It much easier, just requires prep. By the way, I usually end up with a salad with no add ins, do dressing. I'm going o meet friends at a restaurant this p.m., and I figure I can get a salad and taking my own homemade dressing with me.
  • arxantia
    arxantia Posts: 5
    Options
    I find Red Robin is real good. They have an 'Allergy Menu' that you can ask for and are trained to cook it right ( the kitchen manager tries to takes care of it so that it is watched the whole time if they are busy from the few times I've sat close enough to see). Just be sure that

(1) If it is a burger type it comes in a yellow basket NOT their normal red one, and
    (2) a MANAGER delivers it to your table NOT your waitress (they usually wear the blue button down shirts).

This is company policy and what they are trained to do so if this is not what happens - SEND IT BACK! lol they should comp your bill the cost because they got it wrong, they do mine the rare instances they have got my salad/chicken protein wrap wrong. Worst luck (and this happened only the once, mostly because we were in a hurry and didn't do our own double check) if you go to the hospital their company is on the phone to you within 24/48 hrs to be sure your alive and to work on getting your bill completely covered. So, basically it is a good company that tries hard to get this right :happy: It is like my only 'SAFE' restaurant.
  • ceksnlk0428
    Options
    This is a fantastic website, thank you for sharing! www.allergyeats.com. I've been sick for several years now after eating grains. Come to find out, I was mis-diagnosed with acid reflux and put on Nexium. Low and behold, many, many tests later, I got the diagnosis of a wheat allergy just this past Thursday. I have been following a GF diet for just 3 days now, and no more getting sick, and no more Nexium. I think the doc might have nailed it this time. I just don't understand why it has taken so long.
  • slroberts55
    slroberts55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    http://www.allergyeats.com/

check out this website if you haven't already.....it's all about finding what you are looking for.....

Of course, before I go anywhere, I check the menu online and then call...maybe this can help you wean down your list though. good luck!
  • slroberts55
    slroberts55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    AllergyEats.com also has an App for Smart Phones, so I can search nearby restaurants when I'm traveling. And the more of those with allergies who use it and give feedback, the more useful it is.
  • C1131
    C1131 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been following a GF diet for just 3 days now, and no more getting sick, and no more Nexium. I think the doc might have nailed it this time. I just don't understand why it has taken so long.

Ha! I'm right with you on kicking the acid blocker (Prilosec in my case since it was a few years ago) by getting off gluten/wheat.

I did elimination diet testing and somehow missed that wheat on the first round--found dairy and soy. So many things improved after removing those from my diet but I still could not make it to 48 hours between Prilosec doses without being in total misery. Eventually I started to realize that on days when I had more bread than usual I was prone to migraines. Initially I thought it was just hidden dairy in the bread but then that theory wore thin. I re-tested wheat on an elimination round and bingo, headache and horrid belly ache was easily induced.

Stopped eating wheat/gluten and in a couple weeks I found I didn't need the daily Prilosec anymore. Even better, I have been heart burn symptom free for almost 5 years now (with the occasional exception for allergy exposures). I now bring it along if I travel since it's just too likely that I'll get into something, but otherwise, acid blockers are no longer part of my life. Yay!

Hope it works for you as well!