All about ME :)

Options
toodloo
toodloo Posts: 58 Member
Hi! I'm Randi. I'm 26 and I live in California. I've been overweight my whole life, but it took me a long time to figure out why that is. When I was in law school I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), which causes women to secrete more male hormones and produce more insulin than a normal gal. The result is that I gain weight VERY easily and it's very hard to lose it. My doctor recommended cutting back on sugars, since many women with PCOS a) produce more insulin than they should, putting us at high risk for diabetes b) have carbohydrate addictions and c) we usually have something called "insulin resistance" which means that our bodies don't regulate sugar right and it turns into fat right away.

Finding out all this stuff gave me mixed feelings. On one hand, I'm happy to know there's a reason I'm overweight and I've always struggled, and that it's not all my fault. I always felt like my weight didn't make sense, since I ate the same things and was just as active as my (skinny) sister. I certainly wouldn't say I'm a healthy eater though - I definitely have emotional eating problems and tend to binge. On the other hand I was depressed, because I knew losing the weight would be a lot more difficult for me than for most people.

I dropped a lot of weight my freshman year of college because I was extremely active (gymnastics, cheerleading, kickboxing) BUT I was pretty unhealthy with my eating - meaning I didn't eat. I was down to around a size 12 and felt amazing, but it wasn't at all sustainable and I gained all that weight back plus a LOT more while I was in law school.

I restarted my diet over this past summer when a friend asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding. The wedding is this weekend (yikes time flies!) and I've lost 27 lbs so far. My starting weight was 249 - a horrifying number. Luckily for me, I've always been muscular and curvy, and I definitely didn't look like I weighed 249. I've gone from an 18 to a 16 and I'm feeling great, but also daunted by the amount of weight I still need to lose.

My first goal is to get under 200 - pretty sure I'll cry tears of joy when that happens! ;) Other than that, my goals are based on how I feel and my clothes rather than my weight. I'd like to be a size 12, and then I'll reevaluate and see if I'd like to lose more. The idea of being a size 6 or 8 just seems crazy and unattainable right now.

Anyway, that's it! Thanks for reading!

xo
Randi

Replies

• pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS and I have insuline resistance.
    You'll get to that goal, I know that!
  • Acp1010
    Acp1010 Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks for telling us about yourself Randi!
    I'm sorry about your condition, but we are here for you to help you lose those next 30 lbs!

How tall are you?

It would be really cool if you told us about your condition and how it has affected your nutrition and your meals on here!

We look forward to helping you reach your goal!

KEEP IT GOING!

:)