C25k for biking?

Options
Hi Everyone,

It's been about 20 years since I spent any real time in the bike saddle and I've committed to doing my first metric century on May 18th with my SO!

Is there a biking plan similar to runners' Couch to 5k plan to get me up to speed? I went out recently and rode 13 miles at about 14-16 mph but had to stop because of gear failure. Can any of you seasoned bikers give me advice about how often to ride, what distances to do to build up endurance, etc.? I'm currently also training for a 5k run event early in February, but I'm happy to alternate my days with biking.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'd like to have 'respectable' speed, though I know that speed and endurance takes time to build up to. I've heard the adage that you can ride an event that is 3x your typical training ride but I don't know how true that is.

My goal for this is to ride the 100k without being the old fatty on two wheels. Or at least if I am the fatty I want to be able to keep up enough to not be the biking equal to a person who walks a running event. I don't want to let my SO down. Right not it's snowing and below freezing most days so I know that I'll have to take training slow until February or so, but I don't want to neglect it altogether. I also want to aim for rides that will help me build endurance, strength and speed over the two-three months prior to the event without burning myself out by training too hard.

Is there such a thing? Heh.

I thought I'd start by riding an hour at a time at 70%, then slowly amp it up to 2 hours, then three, etc. I just don't want to do anything 'wrong' and mess up my progress.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great first ride. For some reason I'm thinking of Mythbusters now...ha!

Okay, I'll stick to the plan and keep on reading. Thanks everyone!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Until you can get out on the roads try some indoor work either with a trainer (thingy you set your regular bike on) or a spin bike (a class or just on your own). Almost all of my winter miles are indoor, and I fair pretty well at the beginning of the season. I think doing an hour a few times a week is a good start, but as you get closer to the event you'll need to toughen up the rump a bit by increasing your time in the saddle. Good luck!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I have no scientific advice. Just ride ride ride ride ride.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    The best way I found, is to break it down. Do several smaller workout rides during the week, but plan one long weekend ride (unless you can fit a long ride in your weedays)

Take your amount you want to do, scale it back ~10% each week back to today, and you will have a goal from there.

Typically they suggest doing it by total time in the saddle, vs total miles. But in reality either method will work.

scale up slowly as much as you can, to give your body time to get readjusted to riding.

If you haven't research, and invest in a quality pair of shorts, and get your bike fitted, they go a long way for long distances in comfort.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    http://www.howtobefit.com/century-ride.htm

Quick article I found.

One other thing, make sure you hydrate enough, replace things like sodium and potassium, and if you can find a way, eat on the bike as well.

Research: Allen Lim Rice Cakes (they are amazing.)