Interval training for Half Marathon

Options
hedkell
hedkell Posts: 121 Member
Hi all, I am currently training for a half marathon using Hal Higdon's intermediate plan as I am also trying to improve on previous times.

The speed days are 400m intervals at 5k pace. This worked very well for my 10k, I completely blitzed my goal time, but is it really suitable for a half?

I only have 5 weeks left of the program but am really open to suggestions on this.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't do that type of interval session for a HM. I'd do tempo runs or cruise intervals (4x 1 mile @ 10K pace, maybe a little slower with 2 to 3 minutes between repeats). The HM is about 97% aerobic effort, so that is the system you should be working on. Lots of easy running, tempo effort once a week and then some sharpening starting at about 6 weeks before the race where you do 1/4 to 1/2 of your long run at race pace.
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, it is really helpful! May seem like a stupid question but what do I do between repeats? Walk, jog, stop? I have been jogging between the 400m ones.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I run easy between the repeats. If you HR isn't coming down quickly enough, you can walk too. The repeats shouldn't be so taxing that feel like you need to walk though. If you feel that way, you are probably running them too fast.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Carson am I right in thinking that where you advocate running a portion of the long run at target race pace, you'd recommend that being the end portion - so starting off easy and then stepping it up later?

What are your thoughts on the value of a pace run the day after a long (but easy) run - the theory as I understand it being to get experience pushing hard on legs that are tired?

[hedkell - pls excuse me taking over your thread, I'm in a similar position following a similar plan]
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Carson am I right in thinking that where you advocate running a portion of the long run at target race pace, you'd recommend that being the end portion - so starting off easy and then stepping it up later?
    Yes, that is correct. The last portion of the run. If you are doing a 12 miler, do 8 at easy effort with the last 4 at race pace. Or save a mile at the end for cool down if your race pace is significantly faster than your easy effort. I like to do a half mile cool down, maybe even a mile as my HM pace is 2 to 2.5 mins per mile faster than my easy run pace.
    What are your thoughts on the value of a pace run the day after a long (but easy) run - the theory as I understand it being to get experience pushing hard on legs that are tired?
    As an LSD is considered a workout, I wouldn't suggest this. The day after should be a rest day or an easy run/ recovery run day. I think a better plan would be to do a medium length run the day before the LSD, maybe 60 to 75 minutes. That should give the legs enough fatigue to make the LSD challenging, but not overly difficult, if you are doing the fast finish LSD that we are discussing...edit...

ETA: Or doing just a normal long run too.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    sounds great, thank you.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    bump