Do you try to hit your macros or just count calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• mklassy123
    Options
    I watch everything. I really watch my sugar, fat, fiber and sodium. If I start reaching my limit by lunchtime, it changes what I eat for the rest of the day. I also monitor my calcium and my iron, which I have been very under my goal - multi vitamin helped with the iron and adding a bit more low fat dairy helped with the calcium - although not at 100% yet. I'm still playing around my foods to find the best healthy way of eating for me to get the nutrients I need.
  • Kitsada
    Kitsada Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This is not at all easy.

The new macros are kicking my butt, now I'm never 'right' in the breakdowns... and I guess its probably what I needed to change to see better progress.

Seems quite hard to keep the carbs down and the protein up.

Will update after a couple more weeks.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    This is not at all easy.

The new macros are kicking my butt, now I'm never 'right' in the breakdowns... and I guess its probably what I needed to change to see better progress.

Seems quite hard to keep the carbs down and the protein up.

Will update after a couple more weeks.

I haven't changed my macros, but at the advice of a fellow MFP friend, I increased my protein & decreased my carbs too. At first I had hell getting in enough protein, but I learned quickly that I stayed full longer with the protein than with carbs. I was used to snacking in between meals but since I was full, I found myself skipping snacks & not even realizing it! When I'm really strict with it, I find that I am under on my calorie goal considerably too. Not sure why that is, but it doesn't bother me b/c I am FULL!

Now I'm just waiting for the scale to start moving again. I love the holidays, but they are never kind to my body. I have ZERO willpower to resist all the yummy sweets! :grumble:
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I think upping protein is the magic bullet.

Plus, I'm not deliberately low-carb -- but even with a couple of portions each of fruit & whole grains a day, I'm still usually well under 100g (which is considered low). It's all in the quality of the food. The better (more wholly nutritious), the more use it is to your body, and the longer it will last you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I focus on my macros and micros, and have changed the MFP presets.
    I focus on high protein, and high fiber

and try for low sodium, and sugar and a reasonable amount of carbs (which are mostly SLOW carbs since I aim for low sugar).
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I do both. Higher protein is key for me, but I need to get my fiber in and makes sure it is all in balance.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I do both as well.
    i try to keep my sugar and carbs under my goal and my protein over.
    For sodium, I try to keep it lower, just so I don't have to think about water weight, but since it doesn't really contribute to fat loss, i'm not super concerned with it.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am always over on my fats since I think it's important to have healthy fats every day---coconut oil and olive oil for example. I don't eat wheat any longer, so I usually have nuts and dairy for snacks and part of my meals. I have recently upped my calories, and I've been going by that more than anything. I am not looking to lose this weight quickly, but slowly and effectively.