eating / puking

Options
caribougal
caribougal Posts: 865 Member
I've been doing my on-ramp class at 6am. I don't eat before or drink coffee because I'm afraid of puking. It's happened to me in the past twice when I did boot camps, especially if there's a lot of plyo stuff.

I asked my coach about it today since this morning I woke up super early and by 6am I was pretty hungry. He said that once he talked with exercise physiology profs at UConn and asked them about it. They said that no one really know exactly what causes people to get sick, but that it's probably related to low blood sugar.

A light bulb went off for me. I often had the shakes from blood sugar swings before eating Paleo/Primal. And the 2 times I got sick were before I changed my diet. Now, I wonder if I would have the same issue since I no longer ever feel hypoglycemic. I'm almost tempted to eat something before working out just to test it.

For those of you eating Paleo/Primal... what's your experience?

Replies

• ActiveAbbyChick
    ActiveAbbyChick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The guidelines offered by my Crossfit Box is to eat no closer than 2 hours before a workout. I tested that once and found myself nauseated. I try to follow the guidelines and have had success. This morning I was up at 4 and had a coffee before heading to Crossfit at 6. I was starting to get hungry before class but I drank a bit of water, did the class, and was fine. I was starving after the class and ate a large breakfast before heading to work. I think this may depend on the person. You can try eating before but I'd definitely keep it light and simple.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I would definitely puke if I ate before my xfit class. too much of my body is in stress and my stomach calls out for help since all the blood and recovery systems move from digestion toward powering this awesome muscle party going on.

I know not everyone is, but I subscribe to lyle mcdonalds and martin bertrams thoughts on working out in a fasted state for better muscle building and fat loss. (especially a metabolic workout).
    I'm not working out to improve my times, or make my lift that much bigger - I'm doing it to build and reduce ;)

That said, I do eat withing 10 minutes of my workout finishing to give my body the nutrients to start rebuilding and have it stop the catabolic process.