Plyometrics for rugby.

Options
Hey guys - I'm now entering off-season conditioning (dun dun duuun). I've started StrongLifts 5x5, but I also want to develop some power. What are some good plyometric exercises I can do (especially for forwards?) While it's my DREAM to learn how to do Olympic weightlifting, I just don't have the access to a club right now. I am trying to teach myself how to power-clean (with a broomstick, don't get crazy on me), and man am I a slow learner. So I thought plyometrics could be the next best thing to help foster the explosiveness I need, and avoid damaging myself with a large barbell all in one!

Are there are any other exercises I could do to develop power? Thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I do burpees (haha, I know!), jump squats, hops on 1 foot, lateral line hops, medicine ball slams, wall balls, tuck jumps.

Tire flips would be another good one, but I don't have access to one. If you can do power pushups, that would be good. Medicine ball chest passes (with a partner).

Here are some other ideas: http://www.brianmac.co.uk/plymo.htm

Good luck! :)
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    oooh, I did another one today - box jumps! :)
  • carlwhitley
    Options
    All of the above. If you have access to fast-foot ladders, have a look at some drills on youtube - all that explosiveness will need control!

With the box jumps, you can jump up to the box and also jump down - when you jump down, try to land then immediately sprint 5m.
  • Elucidate_my_life
    Options
    Hi Mate

Well, if you are doing your 5x5 then this will prob be enough for your power development (youll need that recovery-if your natural), so long as your rest periods are long enough, weight is heavy enough and tempo of your lifts are fast on the positive (creating power) and slow on the negative (creating bulk).

But once you have done your 5x5 for say 4 weeks at 3 x per week, then I would cut it back to 3x5 and do a set of plyometrics about 30sec after your weight set, but as part of that set. This is called complex training (sometimes contrast training).

The plyometric should 'match' the weight movement. eg. you do squats with weights x 5 reps, 30sec rest, then do about 5-10 reps of squat jumps without any weights Or bench press followed by clap press ups or lunges followed by split jumps (these are awesome!)

Anyway, look into it...its one of the best way to build power/speed and no need to learn Olympic lifts for it.

Good luck