"Have it your way!" challenge 1/12/13

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
Hey not just a challenge for today but tomorrow too.

Is there a favorite fast food you like that you can duplicate at home? I bet there is! What is it and I bet I can help you find a recipe for it. Try to recreate healthier versions of your favorite fast food items and still enjoy the great flavors!
It is not as hard or labor intensive as you think.

Meet the challenge! Food does not have to rule you...you rule it! Go for it and "have it your way!" LOL!

Peace,
WW
PS I may make my own Pizza Pizza! tonight!

Replies

• KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    McDonald's McMuffin. I found a copy cat version on theyummylife.com and tweaked it to suit me and my boyfriend. So much better then McDonald's.

Hawaiian Pizza. I currently buy the premade dough and make the pizza from there, but I just got a Ninja Blender, so I may try my own pizza dough one day.

Jamba Juice Smoothies. Very easy to make your own versions.

And this isn't fast food, but I love fried rice. It's not bad with brown rice, and i really want to try it with quinoa
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I love veggie tacos, I have started making them at home and mine are better:blushing:

I use corn tortilias(100 cal for 2), morningstar meatless crumbles, greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) , salsa, red onion, lettuce, tomatoes, and fresh cilantro...boy are they good!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Still working on how to get my Gluten free soft taco shells and wraps to fold without breaking so I can make quesadillas, grilled soft tacos, greek chicken wraps, ect
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I love a juicy burger. some of my faves are the Whopper and Big Mac. I have made homemade versions before but I like the fast food best. I know that is bad. I just have not been able to duplicate the juicy tender patty yet. I will keep trying.
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Ms Rachel does slightly warming them help first? Just a tad?

I love making my own quesadillas! I am a master! Rah! Plus, I learned how to make my own salsa too! Man! I have perfected my own baked fries.
    I made my own 'Chipotle' bowl at home once...I did all the fixins but my beans were tastier I bet. Used brown rice. Delicious!

Try oven 'fried' fish too for a sandwich...really good!

When I drank coffee I was making my own iced coffees...delicious...sluuuuurp!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    Options
    Warming them in the microwave does not work, baking in the oven didn't work, one day I'm going to try heating them in a pan stove top (I noticed when I was at Pita's Republic yesterday, they heat their pitas and wraps on a flat top, so am going to try that. I want to try to make a Chipotle's burrito bowl myself (just too easy to buy them, though!)
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    That is how I do my quesadillas...on a flat surface.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Lately, instead of my son and I getting the traditional hot dogs from 7-11, I've been making grilled hot dog sandwiches at home. They're about the same amount of calories, but just taste so much better.

2x Beef ball park franks (split down the middle)
    2x slices of white bread
    1x slice of cheese
    2x pats of butter

I hope I don't have to give directions on how to make a grilled cheese with added hot dogs.

Edit: Quesadilla's come out the best in a pan.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    Options
    Lately, instead of my son and I getting the traditional hot dogs from 7-11, I've been making grilled hot dog sandwiches at home. They're about the same amount of calories, but just taste so much better.

2x slices of white bread
    1x slice of cheese
    2x pats of butter

I hope I don't have to give directions on how to make a grilled cheese with added hot dogs.

Edit: Quesadilla's come out the best in a pan.
    A suggestion for the hot dogs if you want to try something low in fat and calories, I found Buffalo hot dogs, they're actually pretty good, I think they have better flavor than regular hot dogs.
  • garlic7girl
    Options

2x slices of white bread
    1x slice of cheese
    2x pats of butter

I am cracking up! My mom used to make hot dog sandwiches split down the middle. She used to make a 'sauce' with it mayo mustard and chopped onion and salt and pepper....mmmm good no wonder I was a big kid! LOL!