Focusing on the Purpose

Options
My purpose for starting this fast was to gain a more consistent and intimate relationship with Christ. I also wanted to jump start healthier eating habits while not obsessing over food consumption. Well, I think I have already gotten off track with the ultimate purpose of this fast. In my preparation for this fast, I have been so consumed with my consumption of food and what to eat and what not to eat and how much to eat and when to eat, and how to prepare it....AARRRGG!! I realized this morning that I had to step back and realize why I started this fast. It is the trick of the enemy to get you off course, and to get your mind off focusing on Christ, but it is our duty to recognize those tricks and schemes. I recognized that I was already starting off on the wrong path and that I need to remember the ultimate purpose of this fast. It's not about the food and recipes and how many carbohydrates are in this dish. It's about denying yourself in order to gain eternally. Saying no to yourself "the temporary" and yes to God "the eternal".

Replies

• 2tang
    2tang Posts: 44
    Options
    I agree with you, it is so easy to get caught up in the legalities of the fast - what to eat and what not to eat - that we lose sight of why we are fasting. When I do the daniel fast I not only give up certain foods, I also give up some activity (such as watching TV, reading romance novels, etc) and use that time to focus on prayer and studying the bible. Because of my goals to lose weight, watching what I eat at all times is key for me to reach that goal and sometimes I can get pretty obsessive about it and so I pray for guidance in this also.
  • LioshaM
    LioshaM Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    In my preparation for this fast, I have been so consumed with my consumption of food and what to eat and what not to eat and how much to eat and when to eat, and how to prepare it....AARRRGG!! I realized this morning that I had to step back and realize why I started this fast. It is the trick of the enemy to get you off course, and to get your mind off focusing on Christ, but it is our duty to recognize those tricks and schemes.

I agree, it definitely goes back to the purpose of the fast. When we focus on the food, it defeats the purpose because instead of Christ being the focus, food is. Everytime I realize my stomach growls, I remind myself that it's OK. Then I go pray, read or do something productive instead of thinking about what recipe/food will comply with the "Daniel's Fast"

I have found this fast to be one of the most productive fasts I have been on. I'm spending more quality time with the kids. Our morning are less stressful and even my house is cleaner and getting more and more organized by the day. Possibly because I am not overly consumed with food and it's preparation. I cook for the kids, but afterwards I'm free to do whatever. It's been surreal. I try only to eat breakfast and lunch (because I'm on a medicine that requires food) other than that, it's straight water!
  • nixlegend31
    Options
    You ladies are all correct. I have been putting this off for weeks and was suppose to start last week but due to my lack of discipline and just fear of change I chickened out. But I decided that if I'm not willing to give up something I love which I do love food for Christ than my loyalty and relationship to him is very weak and he is not my priority, food is. I have had this obsession with food for years which is why I'm overweight now and I realized that I replaced alot of things in my life with food, friends, relationships and I just don't want to do that anymore. I want to live, I know this sacrifice will be worth it and I know it will be hard but my love for Christ supercedes a cheeseburger and I want to do this for him!!! I am starting tomorrow and I will need encouragement, we all will, but I know I can do this!! Keep up the good work ladies.
  • 2tang
    Options
    You ladies are all correct. I have been putting this off for weeks and was suppose to start last week but due to my lack of discipline and just fear of change I chickened out. But I decided that if I'm not willing to give up something I love which I do love food for Christ than my loyalty and relationship to him is very weak and he is not my priority, food is. I have had this obsession with food for years which is why I'm overweight now and I realized that I replaced alot of things in my life with food, friends, relationships and I just don't want to do that anymore. I want to live, I know this sacrifice will be worth it and I know it will be hard but my love for Christ supercedes a cheeseburger and I want to do this for him!!! I am starting tomorrow and I will need encouragement, we all will, but I know I can do this!! Keep up the good work ladies.

Great - this is an awesome fast and a great way to get focused on your relationship with Christ.
  • 2tang
    Options
    hi Ladies,

I am in the last week of my fast and my prayers are more focused on relationship building - my relationship with Christ, my relationship with my family and all those around me. After the fast I plan to continue a vegetarian based diet - over the past fews weeks my whole family has adjusted to eating meatless meals and hopefully will continue with me. I am truly blessed and this fast has helped me to focus on all the blessings and move past the negativity that has been keeping me back.

Take care and God Bless you all