Bad Periods

Options
Fhoover
Fhoover Posts: 62 Member
Hello everyone. I just wanted to get some advice from you guys. I have not been able to afford to make a dr appointment but I am pretty sure I have PCOS.. I go month and months without having my period then when it does come it is very bad *bleedy* and last for weeks. It gets so bad that I will be standing there and blood will run out of me.. Does anyone else have a problem with what I refer to as globs of crap coming out. It's horrible.. I am just looking for some help until I can get some insurance from work..

Replies

• nornas42
    nornas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    YES. Oh the gobs and clots. When I used to have really bad periods I could just feel the gobs falling out of me... it was so weird and every period was just a prayer to NOT overflow on any piece of clothing that I was wearing. Those were the days when I would go almost a year and then bleed off and on for weeks at a time. My deepest sympathies!

Hopefully you can go somewhere - I'm not sure if you can afford to go see an OB/GYN and just pay cash for it, it would be worth it. I know my doctor charges about $150 for that and then another $80 for blood work (you should get it verified through blood work!). It would be worth the investment for your health.

Once I went on birth control pills, the bad periods stopped.... and now birth control is FREE in the USA, so if you can get that Rx then you might have some needed help to deal with this!
  • Fhoover
    Options
    I tried the whole birth control pill thing to regulate my period and it makes me feel horrible.. Horrible cramps and I feel like i"m giving birth out my bad.. I am the same way too, I pray that I don't soak my clothes when I am at work.. I can't wait to lose some of this weight and see if it helps me
  • nornas42
    Options
    For some inspiration -- a friend of mine with PCOS lost 70 lbs and has kept it off for almost 3 years now. She's no longer on any meds, including birth control, and her periods are monthly and manageable! It can happen!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I might be wrong about this but I've heard that with PCOS if you are not getting regular periods, you actually get a lot of lining in your uterus because every month it is just building up and not coming out. Then when it does come out, watch out! I didn't get mine for seven months after I first went off BC but when I started metformin, it's now come back and is long-ish but still better than it had been (4-8 weeks). Anyway, that first period, OMG, the first day it was spotting. The second day it was like a freaking murder scene. The worst part: we were on vacation! No joke. And that second day was the day we were driving home for four hours. It was awful.
    So long story short, yes, this is pretty normal for PCOS. I pray you will be able to get to the doctor and get some help. My symptoms have gotten so much better since I started Metformin. it is not for everyone, but it works great for me.

ETA: my cycle is four to eight weeks, not my period. That would suck.
  • Fhoover
    Options
    wow the more and more I read the more it sounds like me.. I am going to try to get some insurance through work but I don't know if it covers going to like the OBGYN and stuff.. What is this medication everyone keeps talking about to lose weight?? Wonder if I could get put on it.. I need to do something.. This getting my period for like 3 weeks out of the month when it does come SUCKS!! I just want to have a baby.. All my friends are getting pregnnat and I find myself getting really hostile over it. Like the other day my sister thought she was pregnant and all I could do was cry because I kept thinking "it's not fair that I am the married one and she is the one that just met her fiance and now she is the one having a baby" I hate feeling this way :(
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel about the pregnancy. Most of us have been there.

Metformin is actually a diabetes drug. When you eat sugar, your body releases insulin to deal with it. Well, if you are insulin resistant like many women with PCOS, the body can't deal with the insulin properly. The excess insulin makes us gain weight. If you are like me, you have spent your life "eating well" and exercising and it does hardly anything. The Metformin helps by getting rid of the insulin - I look at it as now my body is doing what it is supposed to have been doing all along. It's not a cheat. PCOS is a chemical and hormone imbalance in your body. Unexplained weight gain is a symptom of PCOS.
    Metformin makes some women sick and some just can't tolerate it. For me, I only really have a problem if I eat tons of sweets. I also have to make sure that I eat frequently enough or I get low blood sugar. BTW, my family doctor ran all the blood tests and prescribed my medication so if you can't go to the OBGYN, maybe your family doctor can help.
  • nornas42
    Options
    Hopefully your work insurance will cover the OBGYN. If not, I actually use my family doctor for my metformin & PCOS treatment... but I chose her because she was actually educated about PCOS and knew how to help me. Saves me the extra doctor's trip. I'm not ready to get pregnant but once I am I'll seek out an actual OBGYN.
  • Stevihatch1991
    Options
    OH brother do I know about bad periods. I don't even think that it should even been called a period more like a blood bath....... I have huge clots like cra cra!!! Ive noticed that many of you ladies don't have a period for a while then have a crazy one... I never stop bleeding maybe ill go a week but if I get to active or anything crazy to stimulate my uterus I start spotting and bleeding... does anyone else have that problem.????? I can never have enough underwear...lol
  • Fhoover
    Options
    OH brother do I know about bad periods. I don't even think that it should even been called a period more like a blood bath....... I have huge clots like cra cra!!! Ive noticed that many of you ladies don't have a period for a while then have a crazy one... I never stop bleeding maybe ill go a week but if I get to active or anything crazy to stimulate my uterus I start spotting and bleeding... does anyone else have that problem.????? I can never have enough underwear...lol

Oh yes I have te same problem.. I will be standing there and can feel them coming out.. It's like a race to the bathroom to get them out before they destory my underweart.. I feel sooo bad.. I actually had to go home the other day from work because it was sooooo bad.. I wish I could find something to help with it..Maybe I should invent a new pad.. I feel so much better knowing I am not the only one :) Also I have noticed that when I start working out my period gets heavier.. Like the more lazy and the more I eat the less my period shows up.. Wish it were the other way around, wish it would go away from working out
  • ms_jen21
    ms_jen21 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Well, normally my periods are very heavy, but I haven't been on my BCP for a few months, and so when I do have a period (sometimes a littler over 28 days in between!) they last 3-5(sometimes 4) days and cause sever cramps.. I have been taken off all my medications due to a liver enzyme problem so when I go back to the doc in 4 weeks to be re-tested we'll see where they're at. Then if no issues, I can re-start all my medications. They've only got me taking my Metformin since I was diagnosed as a Type-2 Diabetic when they found that my liver enzymes were skyrocketed. But Yes, normally mine are very heavy, and cause very bad cramps that last the first two days.
  • michelledawnt
    michelledawnt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I used to have that issue. I went on Metformin and Apri 28 and that made my periods regular for several years.
    You should be able to go to somewhere like planned parenthood and get birthcontrol very cheaply. Since it does sound like PCOS, I would ask for destrogen or progesterone based birthcontrol.