I Don't Understant

Options
babynew
babynew Posts: 613 Member
Hi, I pretty new to Intollerances of Wheat, soy & Sulfites & Thyroid Diagnosis. I keep having reactions and Learning alot on Sulfites currently.
HOWEVER, I just had a reaction to Perfect Food, Raw Organic Green Super Food. It is labeled RAW,VEGAN,GF, DAIRY FREE, no fillers, etc. I checked further for soy, and I mixed it with water. 20 minutes later, my feet are vibrating and my heart is racing, so I looked further.
Its loaded with Greens, sprouts and veggies BUT the juice blend 3.5 grams is
Organic Barley grass
" Alfalfa grass
" Oat
"Wheat
" Kamut grasses
How can this be?
Is the gluten in wheat only become gluten when heated, and a Grass of Wheat can be labeled Gluten Free?
Or am I just extremely sensitive? I really am a quest to Feel Better.
I appreciate any and all help,in regards to any of this post.
Thank You :flowerforyou:

Replies

• babynew
    Options
    Oh, my, my phone mispelled understand, wish I could get someone to fix this.
    I DID just find out that Raw Young Cereal Grasses are GF.
    I am going to get in touch with them Tomorrow to find out if there are sulfites in this. I'm Itching now, this suks.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    You can have both an allergic reaction to wheat as well as the gluten intollerance. Do you have seasonal allergies? I do and don't tolerate greens and some teas will give me a sinus reaction.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It does not look Gluten Free to me at all. It barley is considered gluten. You see something can be Wheat free and not Gluten Free. Barley, Rye and Oats are part of the gluten family no matter what. What was the brand? I can look into it more for you.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi, I pretty new to Intollerances of Wheat, soy & Sulfites & Thyroid Diagnosis. I keep having reactions and Learning alot on Sulfites currently.
    HOWEVER, I just had a reaction to Perfect Food, Raw Organic Green Super Food. It is labeled RAW,VEGAN,GF, DAIRY FREE, no fillers, etc. I checked further for soy, and I mixed it with water. 20 minutes later, my feet are vibrating and my heart is racing, so I looked further.
    Its loaded with Greens, sprouts and veggies BUT the juice blend 3.5 grams is
    Organic Barley grass
    " Alfalfa grass
    " Oat
    "Wheat
    " Kamut grasses
    How can this be?
    Is the gluten in wheat only become gluten when heated, and a Grass of Wheat can be labeled Gluten Free?
    Or am I just extremely sensitive? I really am a quest to Feel Better.
    I appreciate any and all help,in regards to any of this post.
    Thank You :flowerforyou:

Barley, wheat and kamut all contain gluten. I dn't get how that is supposed to be GF. Maybe I'm missing something here.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Ok, I get it now. I did some research. Its "GF" because they use sprouts, and since gluten is not found in the stems/grass leaves its "safe".

Personally I wouldn't drink it, but thats just me. And if you had a reaction to it, maybe you shouldn't be either.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, Oats do not contain gluten:

http://drrodneyford.com/extra/documents/234-oats-safe-to-eat.html

Mod Edit:

Many Celiac's react poorly to gluten because of the farm practices, especially here in The States. Please consult your doc/nutritionist/dietician before trying oats. There are certified gluten free oats available these days, I suggest you try them first.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I read up some on this topic the other day and found that while the grasses are safe they have to be harvested before the plants go to seed. The problem with this type of thing is the high risk of cross contamination. The grasses have to be harvested before a certain period of time or you're contaminated. The grasses have to be kept away from any area that the seeds have been or you're contaminated. If the worked was touching the seeds and wasn't careful about cleaning themselves before touching the grasses? Contaminated! It's one of those things that you would want to be extremely careful about how the grasses were handled because the potential for cross contamination is very high. I might be okay if I were at home cutting the wheat grass from my own little plot so I knew my smoothie was safe but then again, I think I'll just stick with the other greens out there so I don't have wheat growing in my kitchen. ;) Hope you feel better quickly.
  • babynew
    Options
    Thanks for all the wonderfull responses! I woke up at 730 this evening itching all over and foggy bloated. One of my friends said chlorella causes reactions in some peeps.
    The powder I had consisted of cereal grasses organically grown, harvested at their nutritional speak,immediately juiced and dried at low temperatures.
    It also had a total of 34 greens, sprouts and veggies nutrients. Ha! Not bad till you try. N figure what did this. I'm thinking Yeah, the wheatgrass, or Sulfites that they add to most powders as an anticlumping agent .its everywhere! .. even powdered herbs, which I grow my own, but succumb to powd garlic and onion when I make my own blends. I just learned this 2 days ago.
    So much to learn. .
    Thanks ,I need all the help I can get. So glad for the help, and thanks for being here. *!*
    :flowerforyou:
  • babynew
    Options
    @ alaskaang,what do you mean when you say alergic react to wheat, as well as the gluten intol? I avoid wheat, and only eat ancient grains. I don't have seasonal allergies.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    By allergic reaction versus intollerance is mostly about the type of reaction. For instance, gluten intollerance can cause all sorts of auto immune problems, inflammation, etc., and an allergic reaction is typically more instantaneous, I.e. coughing, sneezing, itching.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Yes, as others have said, the leaf/grass of the wheat/barley is gluten free. But if you get any of the grain/germ, it is no longer gluten free, and it seems to me it would be pretty tough to completely avoid contamination. Even if they test, they're allowed to have up to 20 ppm gluten and still call it gluten free.

And of course, as someone else said, you could be allergic to wheat as well as intolerant of gluten, in which case the leaf would still cause a reaction even if it was uncontaminated.