The ever famous deployment diet

Options
srpm
srpm Posts: 275 Member
It's about to begin for me. I can't help but be amazed about how much easier it is to stick with my intended meals when my husband isn't home begging to go out and eat etc. How about everyone else? Is it easier for you stick to a plan when your husband is gone? Or do you find yourself snacking when he isn't there and eating nothing but crap food?

Replies

• quinntendo
    quinntendo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    oh I'm with ya! lol It is WAY easier for me to stick to a healthy, clean eating when the hubs is away. He is stick thin and can eat whatever he wants.. lol so sometimes he doesn't understand that eating out a few times a week doesn't work for me. :p
  • srpm
    Options
    I usually can make eating out work, but it never fails we will plan to eat in so I will eat out for lunch or plan to go to the gym in the PM then he will want to go out OR we will plan to go one place and I will plan my day around what I eat at that restaurant then he will want to go somewhere else where I want a less-healthy option.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I lost about 13 lbs during our last (3 month) deployment. Went down two jeans sizes. :P
  • AllyLouB
    AllyLouB Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I lose so easily when Hubby is away..no evil voice of temptation on my shoulder. Plus the diet is a distraction and helps focus on his return. I lost 18lbs last time..yet it always creeps back on when he's home.
  • LRDMello
    Options
    I agree with all of you ladies! Eating for one is much easier however, it is also easy to get "diet stuck" and loose out on the ability to eat variety because let's face it, cooking for one is always a challenge. You waste raw ingredients because they go bad, you make too much and you get sick of eating it...the list goes on and on! I have found that the best thing to do is meal plan and freeze, this way you get a variety, can use all of those great fresh ingredients and still can stick to a plan. I have been lucky to get my husband on the health food bandwagon, they guys often laugh at his quinoa and beans that he brings for lunch and we have also been able to work out a great work out plan. My concern is not having him there to get me in the gym and getting stuck in a funk. I have zero metabolism due to hormone craziness and if I don't keep going physically, I crash. How do you get past the lack of general motivation that we all feel at some point during deployment?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of you ladies! Eating for one is much easier however, it is also easy to get "diet stuck" and loose out on the ability to eat variety because let's face it, cooking for one is always a challenge. You waste raw ingredients because they go bad, you make too much and you get sick of eating it...the list goes on and on! I have found that the best thing to do is meal plan and freeze, this way you get a variety, can use all of those great fresh ingredients and still can stick to a plan. I have been lucky to get my husband on the health food bandwagon, they guys often laugh at his quinoa and beans that he brings for lunch and we have also been able to work out a great work out plan. My concern is not having him there to get me in the gym and getting stuck in a funk. I have zero metabolism due to hormone craziness and if I don't keep going physically, I crash. How do you get past the lack of general motivation that we all feel at some point during deployment?

The part about variety is true but I don't need a lot. I'm a creature of habit and I don't mind eating the same things over and over.

My advice is to get one of the other wives to go to the gym with you. I don't know what I'd do if I hadn't met some of the other women from my husband's boat.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand. It worked for me on several occasions, as well, but then it creeped back on when he got home *ugh*. I wish I could come up with a magic tip to avoid that one for happening after 14 years as a military wife and countless deployments/TDYS. We're Medically Retired now, as of a few months ago.
  • AllyLouB
    AllyLouB Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How do you get past the lack of general motivation that we all feel at some point during deployment?

I give in to the low days..get a puffy face from feeling all upset and angry with the world and don't care who sees it, eat lots of chocolate and go to bed. Usually it lasts a couple days, then something snaps me out of it. You have to give in to the bad days..only then you can realise how great you're actually doing with the diet and being a single parent etc...

Last det I planned a shopping trip for the week before he came home. Every week I hopped on the scales and daydreamed about buying the tightest jeans that would make his eyes stand out on stalks! That kept me motivated. And it worked ;)
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My husband's just at training, not on deployment, but it's pretty much the same. I have good days and bad days either way. The good days still outnumber the bad and so the scale is still moving in the right direction. I would imagine when he's deployed I'll probably have more bad days because I've always been bad about eating to deal with my feelings... but maybe by the time he's gone on his first deployment I'll have worked through those issues.
  • lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Before I had kids that was the case!!
    Not so much now but I'm working on it, hopefully with a deployment coming up I'll be able to get down a few pant sizes!
  • MollyMeghan5
    MollyMeghan5 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My husband will be leaving soon, too. I think it will be easier for me to stick with my diet because he doesn't like to eat healthy (and he can eat 5,000 calories a day and not gain a pound!). I hope to lose about 30-40lbs during his deployment.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Me and my husband eat healthy together. When he's not around I'm glum and just want to eat pizza and ice cream and chips and cookies.
  • srpm
    Options
    Me and my husband eat healthy together. When he's not around I'm glum and just want to eat pizza and ice cream and chips and cookies.

You are lucky! Mine wants to eat healthy, then go get ice cream and pizza after our healthy meal has been eaten :)

I"m with you on the wanting to eat crap when he's gone. It's just easier for me to say no to myself than it is to say no to him.
  • labgeekj80
    labgeekj80 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My situation is kind of like all of yours put together. My husband is generally a eat healthy and workout kinda guy but he works out so much when he feels a desire to eat bad it doesn't really matter. I tend to stick to a better eating plan and workout plan when he is gone. I am also hoping that sticking to something like a healthy routine will help to keep my mind off him being gone.