Beware of KFC if you're gluten free

Options
Doberdawn
Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
This place is so not okay for us. The foods you would think are safe (like grilled chicken & cole slaw) contain gluten. They have only like 3 things or so that are GF. Just learned this on another celiac site & thought I'd share the warning.

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I don't eat down here at ours but we have a particularly horrid one in our area.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Yeah I haven't eaten there since I went gluten free because whether you get the chicken grilled or it's extra crispy I figure there's going to be some cross-contamination somewhere.....
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I figured they'd be a hotbed of cross contamination, never even occured to me to even try!

McDonald's is another one we don't trust.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    So full disclosure here, I do work for McDonald's. That said McDonald's, with one exception, is pretty safe to eat at. While there is risk any place at cross contamination (I get crumbs off my kitchen counters) it is pretty unlikely. Although the employees are not trained in GF the way products are cooked and prepared make cc pretty hard. Th one exception, and this is just my opinion, is getting grilled chicken on a salad. They will have two tools to slice chicken, one for the crispy (breaded) and one for the grilled. But they look almost identical so pretty easy to grab the wrong one. Same for the tongs they grab them with, could easily use the wrong tong. In the case of other products the tools and cooking surfaces are all different as well as the prep procedures. Fryers are all for specific products etc. So I safely eat there a lot :)
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I figured they'd be a hotbed of cross contamination, never even occured to me to even try!

McDonald's is another one we don't trust.

Ditto. I never even considered eating there again, not that we ate there much to begin with. Once a year maybe.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I don't do KFC but I have eaten safely at McDonald's lots of times.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My oldest son also have a severe dairy allergy. The fries (unless something has changed?) contain gluten and dairy. We've just avoided them for so many years, I honestly have no desire to go back. We also rarely eat out, and there's only 1 fast food joint in our tiny town - its a Burger King and we know the owner, so we just go there.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I happen to know there's nothing at KFC in my area that I can eat. Vegan and grain-free - not a chance.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Good that you know the owner and can eat safely. I am 99% certain there is no dairy in the McDonald's fries but all ingredients for everything is posted on the website should you ever want to check. The fries ARE considered to be GF. Way back when the labeling laws changed to show the 8 allergens on labels our supplier let us know that there is hydrolyzed wheat protein used in the natural beef flavor, so we do show wheat on the "label" as it would not be correct to say that it is not there. Independent testing which was supported by celiac.org finds no discernible gluten in the finished product. I've never had any reaction from them and I am very sensitive
  • Garlicmash
    Options
    I've eaten at mcdonalds a couple of times last year and was fine,i stay to fries if unsure and hope for the best if forced to.
    If the main food on sale is floury coated fried foods then best to stay away and as for the coleslaw, it probably has a modified starch which is the problem.