Rustic Winter Stew Over Polenta by Isa Chandra

Options
It says it serves 8, but I think it serves 6...we might have been hungry though.
I entered the combined recipe (stew+polenta) without the herbs' calories and for 6 and the nutritional info is as follows:
Calories Carbs Fat Protein Calcium Iron
Total: 1970 349 48 61 50 99
Per Serving: 328 58 8 10 8 17

For the stew:

Olive oil (from 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons, depending how much you feel like using) [I used rice bran oil as it does not become a saturated fat when heated like olive oil, but the calories are for oilive oil]

1 small onion, diced medium

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon celery seed

Several dashes fresh black pepper

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup green lentils

1 1/2 cups baby carrots

2 lbs plum tomatoes, chopped

4 cups vegetable broth

1 lb small yukon gold potatoes, sliced in half (if using large ones, cut into about 1 inch pieces)

2 bay leaves

3 leeks, white & light green parts only, in 1 inch chunks (and washed well)

Fresh rosemary or thyme, to serve (realistically, only if you’re taking food photos)

For the polenta:

4 cups vegetable broth

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 cup dry polenta (which is corn meal)

To make the stew:

Preheat a 4 quart pot over medium heat. Saute the onion in olive oil, along with a dash of salt, for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, celery seed, pepper and salt and saute a minute more.

Add the lentils, baby carrots, tomatoes and vegetable broth. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally for about 20 minutes, until lentils are slightly softened (now is a good time to start the polenta.)

Add potatoes and leeks. Lower heat to simmer. Cover and cook for about 20 to 30 more minutes, until potatoes are fork tender and lentils are soft. Let sit for 10 minutes or so to allow the flavors to meld. Serve over polenta, garnished with fresh herbs, if you like.

To make the polenta:

Bring vegetable broth and salt to a boil in a 2 quart pot. Add oil. Lower heat to simmer. Add the polenta in a slow steady stream, stirring constantly with a whisk. Whisk for about 5 minutes, until polenta is thickened. Keeping heat low, cover and let cook for 20 more minutes or so, stirring occasionally.

Replies

• Kejlina
    Kejlina Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    yum! can't wait to try this!
  • Faith2Bfit
    Faith2Bfit Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This sounde REALLY good!!
  • shellythepink
    Options
    Thanks for posting the recipe. I've never had polenta before, I'm not sure I like the sound of it much, but willing to give anything a try.