How many calories do you eat to lose weight?

Options
Annelies11
Annelies11 Posts: 174 Member
Hi tall girls!

I was wondering how many calories everyone eats to lose weight. I am 5'10" and weigh 150lbs. Eating 1300 a day so far has helped me lose weight. However, MFP tells me I should be eating about 1500, but that feels like a lot to me.

Replies

• twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and I have been eating 1600 since July and lost 40 pounds. I run and workout 3x a week at least, but I don't usually eat those calories back. I CAN lose faster if I lower my calories, but then I'm hungry and grumpy and I want this to be a lifestyle change, so I do what I know I can do FOREVER and it's working really well for me!
  • SuzieQ430
    SuzieQ430 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my calories around 1400-1500. That keeps me losing pretty steady.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and 150, but that is my goal weight so I'm not really trying to lose anymore. I maintain on about 1900 calories per day, but I am also training for a half marathon so I either run or weight train at least 3-4x per week.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11'' and currently 266. I eat between 1700-2100 depending on if I worked out or not.
  • andigurl513
    Options
    holy cow you ladies need to eat more! lol. personally I think mfp really underestimates how much a person needs to eat to lose weight at a healthy rate and keep it off forever.

I eat body weight x 11, 12 or 13 depending on my activity level that day.

Here's a website that kind of lays it out.

http://www.teambeachbody.com/about/newsletters/-/nli/278#241442505

Over 10 years ago I was over 300 pounds. I've lost and kept off over 100 pounds for over a decade. it's important not to eat too little, and ruin your metabolism - then you'll have a hell of a time keeping the weight off once you get to your goal weight.

I'm 6'1", weigh 198 and eat between 2000-2400 sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. I'm still losing about 4 pounds a month. I was plateaued for a long time, but started eating MORE and losing. I've never been this small. Don't starve yourself ladies - it's counterproductive. :)
  • Annelies11
    Options
    Hmm yeah I've hear that 1200 is how much you need if you are in a coma.. and that's usually how much I eat or a little more. I don't exercise that much; I do cardio 3x a week for 10 minutes, and pilates 3x a week for 30 minutes. So that doesn't really burn many calories. Maybe I should up it to at least 1400 though... I don't want to starve myself.
  • IronKitty
    IronKitty Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    5'11" with about 80 lbs to lose and I eat about 1500-1600. In the past I have eaten at 1400, 1200, and even under 1000. At 1200 I had headaches all day, was constantly hungry and grumpy. At 1400 that was the smallest I was able to eat without feeling crazy all the time, but doesnt work if I'm active at all. At 1000, that wasn't on purpose, I was doing the 6 week body makeover (I was continuing after the 6 weeks), I went to a nutrionist because I was concerned and she quickly told me to start eating 1600. Not only was I much happier I was losing more.
  • carachel2
    Options
    I was going to say....you are at a super healthy, lean weight! I was hoping you weren't trying to lose more.
  • CoCoRedRider
    CoCoRedRider Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    holy cow you ladies need to eat more! lol. personally I think mfp really underestimates how much a person needs to eat to lose weight at a healthy rate and keep it off forever.

I eat body weight x 11, 12 or 13 depending on my activity level that day.

Here's a website that kind of lays it out.

http://www.teambeachbody.com/about/newsletters/-/nli/278#241442505

Over 10 years ago I was over 300 pounds. I've lost and kept off over 100 pounds for over a decade. it's important not to eat too little, and ruin your metabolism - then you'll have a hell of a time keeping the weight off once you get to your goal weight.

I'm 6'1", weigh 198 and eat between 2000-2400 sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. I'm still losing about 4 pounds a month. I was plateaued for a long time, but started eating MORE and losing. I've never been this small. Don't starve yourself ladies - it's counterproductive. :)

This!

I started out using MFP numbers set for losing 1 lb per week, sedentary, which gave me around 1460, and I ate most of my exercise calories. I lost way too fast - about 17 pounds in 2 months. I also kept getting colds - seriously I think I had four different colds in two months. And then I plateaued. So I changed to half a pound per week and lightly active (1770 cal) in the third month, and lost a couple more.Then I changed to maintenance for the holidays (2010 cal) and came back from vacation to my goal weight.

Now I'm still at maintenance calories but upped my activity setting again to "active" (2150 cal :bigsmile: ), still eat back my exercise calories, and have gotten more serious/diligent with my heavy lifting. (Yesterday I burned about 900 calories and it was the day after my strength day, I ate every bit of those 3000 calories, and was still ravenous this morning.) I'm the same weight but clearly tightening up and getting smaller.

I really wish I would have started out eating more calories and lifting heavy. If I had I'm confident I would be rocking my goal body right now instead of my goal weight.

Oh - I'm 6'0" and weigh 153 - 155, 38 years old.
  • Annelies11
    Options
    I was going to say....you are at a super healthy, lean weight! I was hoping you weren't trying to lose more.

Yes you are right - healthy weight but fat% could be better. Not really trying to loose weight anymore, but inches instead :)

Also, I have upped my cals to 1500 and this is working for me, lost a pound this week and about an inch off my waist in 2 weeks.
  • mermaidme23
    mermaidme23 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and ~172 lbs. I meet with a doctor who just put me on a 1250 calorie/day diet. I was doing1500 and wasn't losing any weight. My thyroid is "out of balance" and my levels are too low....so I'm doing this whole program to try and get that corrected. I'll keep you posted.

1500 was enough for me if I didn't eat out. I live in San Fran so there is food everywhere!
  • skykitten
    Options
    I'm just under 5' 10'', weigh about 140lbs and I eat up to 1400cals a day. I get really miserable if I can't eat enough so when I was on the 1200 a day thing, I hated it.

I'm in the midst of Insanity (5 weeks in) so I do take exercise calories into account and eat them back or I'd probably faint!
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 foot and 81kg (179lbs) and I feel awful if I eat less then 1800, Usually eating around 1950-2000. I am not very consistent on here, but when I stick to it, I usually loose 1-2lbs a week. I just can't fathom eating less then 1500 when you're 5 inches taller then the average woman who is eating 1500.
  • allie491
    allie491 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, currently eating 1750.

I do the TDEE minus 15% method, but I plan to increase my cals to TDEE minus 10% shortly (about 1840 cals), as I am very close to my goal weight.
  • kjohnson754
    kjohnson754 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1620 at 194 lbs but looks like I'm going back up to the 1660 I was because I went back up to 196 lbs. :)

I currently eat that amount or 100 calories less than that. Before I started tracking my calories, I was grossly undereating. Now I'm doing great and make it my business to come on here and log my calories religiously.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    When I was eating at a deficit last year I was eating around 2800 calories. I've reduced my activity level and eat 2400-2600 calories to maintain.

I'm 5'11", 169-174 lb and a size 4/6.
  • gettingontrack126
    Options
    i don't really have a huge restriction. i eat between 1200- 1500 calories (just depending on what i feel like). I try to log in 1200 a day, after i've reached that goal i just eat what ever healthy stuff i want (fruits, nut, etc) because usually it'll be low calorie any ways and not significantly effect my progress if i've gotten the first 1200 out of the way. by the way i'm not active, highly sedentary, (i know, i need to get up and start!!!!) i'm in school so i kinda just eat when i feel like it and snacking stuf ( i know i know, i need to stop that and start packing lunch!!!) for the bulk of the day, and if at night i want any snacks i'll make sure its healthy.
    I think you just have to find what works for you, going down to 1200 isnt really moving me much, i think the best thing i've learned in portion measurement, it helps you REALLY know how much of something is healthy. do it in a way where you'll be able to keep to it for a long time, just tweak some things and see how it goes, whatever has you feeling good with progress is for you!!!!
  • gabijadc
    gabijadc Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    6 ft tall, I eat about 1696kcal - I got that calculated by some machine at a fitness center.

I usually eat less though - about 3500kcal less every week because I have a paranoia of actually hitting over 1600...
  • betterthanbefpre
    betterthanbefpre Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Wow! What an eye opener! I eat way too little calories. I was trying for 1200 and I workout 4x a week and walk/run. I have been okay with the hunger I was just lethargic. I am totally upping my calories! Thanks ladies!! Oh and I am 5' 10" 169 pounds and training for a 5 mile obstacle race on the 20th.
  • JulieMaracle
    Options
    I work at a hospital and talk to our nutrionist every week for various reasons. Her advice to me is if you are trying to maintain, you eat more calories. If you are trying to lose weight and keep it off, you should eat no more than 1500-1600 calories and work out at least four times a week for 60 minutes each time, She also mentions that it all depends on yourself too... some people need more calories for different health reasons. Good luck everyone! :)

I am 5'10" and I need to lose approx 800-100 lbs, I'll reset goals as the weight comes off. I've already lost 27 lbs but I need to keep going.