Please provide Me with hope that my thighs will reduce

Options
Hi There,
I've been doing strong lifts for almost two months now (with about 1 week off over New Year) and I've lost 4cms off my waist, but my damn thighs won't shift!
I started SL's with the hope lifting heavy will slim my thighs so I'm a bit disheartened. I only started MFP about a week or 2 before SL's and ignorantly went with the suggested 1200 cals, I did lose weight and my thighs lost 2cm, but after I realized that was too low, I upped my cals and I gained a kilo and put the 2cm back on my thighs. Sigh!
I do hope my thighs start decreasing because the thinner my waist gets the wider they appear
Thanks for reading my vent :)

Replies

• mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I've recently upped my calories, and was told to wait 4-6 weeks for results and that I will gain temporarily, so don't stress about that.

In regards to stronglifts, I'm only 1 week in, so wouldn't know! A slim waist is awesome though, but hopefully our legs slim down too..? Bumping for you!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Depends a lot on what your body shape is like - your thighs will EVENTUALLY reduce when you get to low enough bodyfat, but if you carry a lot of weight on your thighs then it may be the very LAST thing to go. If you are that type then lifting is almost the ONLY way to get them looking lean, but it will be the last bit to happen.

Check out Amber's pictures here - she's a bit broader shouldered than most women, but she definitely carries the last of her fat in her legs. http://gokaleo.com/?p=666

Are her thighs ultra slim? No - but they look a heck of a lot better in the after picture than in the before, even though she is the EXACT same weight.

Unfortunately, your genetics determine a lot about how your body will look. Lifting will get you the best body YOU can have, but you may never have thighs as slim as someone else's, or a visible abs, etc.

You won't know til you give it time and - 2 months isn't time. Body sculpting is slow slow slooooooow. Slow. Sorry. I really hope you both come to love lifting the way I do, because if you want the physical changes you're in it for the long haul.
  • mareeee1234
    Options
  • elly1979
    elly1979 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear shape. My upper body is cutting nicely with SL AND my legs look a lot more toned, especially in the above-knee and calf area.

Women will often lose lower body fat last, for a variety of reqsons. As tameko said, some of that is body type. Also, nature wants us to have thigh/hip fat. It's there to prepare for possible pregnancy, and I read somewhere (cant find where but happy to trymto google it if you want) when a female is pregnant, her body calls upon the stores of fat in her leg/female areas to fuel her changing body. Biology wants us to hold onto that, regardless of our own conception plans :)

At some point, your body can no longer utilize fat innthe upper body for fuel. For some women, their boobs might even go a lot. (Sad!) then it finally turns to,our hip, thigh, lower tum fat for fuel.

SL or other lifting programs can help the legs look tighter, even if they aren't smaller right away.

For me as a pear, I opt to do heavy squats only every 3rd workout. My other two are lighter. But please don't take that as a modification recommendation :) i do it to cut down on bloat & fluid retention post lifting.

Good luck!
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've been various weights/sizes during my life! At my thinnest (in adult life) I still had big thighs - but at least they were firm thighs! Thanks for that link - it led me to this great video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6x4DPRrulA&NR=1 - which I think says it all. Body shapes are different but I guess that makes us all a bit more interesting!
  • elly1979
    elly1979 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wanted to tell you I measured today, and since starting SL in mid December, each upper thigh is down a half inch :)

There is hope!
  • mareeee1234
    Options
    Wanted to tell you I measured today, and since starting SL in mid December, each upper thigh is down a half inch :)

There is hope!

Oh lovely! Thats like after a month :)
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses ladies. I guess I need to practice more patience and resist the urge to drop the cals. I think I'm in denial that I'm pear shaped, I swear I can't remember having 'problem thighs' before children. I reached goal weight a year ago and then spent the whole year trying to reduce my thighs through cardio and featherweights to no avail. So I do think heavy lifting is the only option I have.

@Tameko2 I follow GoKaleo she is very inspirational and her thighs are amazing. I do really enjoy the challenge of heavy lifting so I will persist.

@chocolatecroissant thank you for the link, I think I need to accept my thighs are genetics (I am very much in denial about this). I am almost 6 foot and have what my friend calls long prey mantis arms (lovingly) and I kinda wish my legs would be the same

@elly1979 half and inch!! There is hope and that is super exciting. Thank you

@maree1234 thanks so much for your support, it's nice to be on the journey together :)

There's a topic on the main forums about Ladies who love their thighs, I hope with lifting I can get to that point too :)
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for posting this! I have all my remaining fat in the boob/ thigh area. Amber's pics are extremely motivating!
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    My body looks very similar to that Kaleo girl :) I have fat in my arms and thighs that I'd like to get rid of. Thanks for the links and ideas. Unfortunately as I've been losing weight I've lost the most in my boobs! When I lost 1/2 an inch everywhere else, I lost 3-4 inches in my boobs. :(
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight slowly since March last year, and have lost inches on my general measurements and dropped dress sizes from a UK 22 to a UK 16, but I have only lost ONE inch from my thighs and NO inches at all from my calves (or is it calfs?). My calves are probably the only place that I have noticeable muscle, so it could be worse, but I am starting to feel a bit disproportionate! I do still have a lot of fat on my thighs (not so much on my calves), so it's not as if I can claim the size is down to muscle.