How many calories do you burn?

Options
rachmass1
rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
Does anyone have a FB, HRM or BMF that they have worn on the mat? I wore my BMF to class a few weeks ago and in the 75- minute class I only expended @ 250-300 calories. It wasn't the most physical class but still seemed low. I am 5'2" and 149 lbs

Replies

• Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, you have confirmed what I have us petted since I started MFP. The default calorie burn on MFP is over 600 calories per hour - fine if you are training hard non stop, but lets face it, the dojo isn't like that. A good class is probably 25-30% standing around watching a technique being demonstrated, quite probably more. Consequently I have been halving my actual training time, and even more if I am teaching more than training! That makes your 300 odd calories about right to my mind!
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I think even the most ukemi intensive class is unlikely to burn the calories noted in MFP. Also, the more we practice the more efficient we become which equates to even less of an expenditure. Lots of heavy aikidoka out there, not so much with karateka...
  • BushiStudy
    Options
    I wear a Fitbit...but I don't always trust the results. It certainly doesn't account for the effort expended when taking ukemi. When doing weapons stuff, it can't account for the extra weight of the weapons, etc...or when using a stationary weapon, such as kusarigama, it hardly counts anything (that's not correct). It would be great if these devices tracked heart rate as well.

I'd agree with squib69 that a class is on-and-off when it comes to levels of activity, but 250-300 does sound low...I'm pretty sure an hour of light-moderate yoga is going to fall somewhere in that vicinity. I guess it depends on how intense your practice is, as well as body type. An hour of Randori or Jiyu Waza, even on-and-off, is pretty exhausting if you ask me. When I walk away from a class tired, I usually count it at about 400/hour in my log. I used to count Buki Waza as less, but I recently read that swinging a weapon around a few hundred times can burn a surprising amount of calories. I'm certainly still learning to read my body more effectively.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on your body weight.

When I was training every day, I wrote down 1/2 to 1/4 the time depending on how light the class was. If I was teaching I usually ended up feeling like 1/4. 1/3 was most common though (this includes warmup). Although this was totally subjective, I lost weight just about how fast MFP said I should.
  • baldyhawkins
    baldyhawkins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I estimate around 500 to 600 calories per hour but I am the one being demonstrate on and weigh 15 stones, but close is close enough.