Walk Live Classes.

Options
I was excited to discover yesterday at the Walk At Home website that there is a such thing as 'Walk Live' classes led by certified walk leaders! AWESOME! There is a map at the website which shows that there is one walk leader in the Minnesota area, pretty far from where I live. Does anyone know of any 'Walk Live' classes in the Minneapolis Area? Thanks!

Replies

• dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Hi! If there isn't one on the map, there probably isn't one near you. There's a certification class in early March, so maybe someone n your area will take it. Or YOU can! I'm a Walk Leader and I love it! (But in NJ, sorry.)
  • daneegurl75
    Options
    Hi! If there isn't one on the map, there probably isn't one near you. There's a certification class in early March, so maybe someone n your area will take it. Or YOU can! I'm a Walk Leader and I love it! (But in NJ, sorry.)

Thanks dorothytd! The funny thing is that I actually considered, for a split second, becoming a walk leader at some point. Can you tell me more about why you became one and at what point in your walk at home journey you decided to become certified? I'm really interested in hearing from an actual walk leader! Thanks!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    If you have considered it at all, don't be surprised if that little voice keeps speaking to you! That's what happened to me... I would do the DVDs in the morning and started to think about how fun it would be to lead others and encourage them to exercise. I've been working out with Leslie for over 6 years. I was probably about 3-4 years in when I really started feeling like it was something I wanted to do.

The reason I wanted to become one is that I never stuck with any exercise program before. Walk at Home was something I COULD do, and wanted to do, literally every day. So many folks get discouraged from exercising, and this is such a great program. I lost 50 pounds six years ago, and am thrilled to tell you it stayed off. The ladies that have joined class are my motivation to keep it going. They are getting healthy, losing weight and realizing that no matter what their age/weight, they can move and have fun!!!

I have to tell you - I also got certified to teach, and am teaching kickboxing as well (more recently). I really like teaching that, too, but truly believe that the walk program is the exercise for life. And a heck of a lot of fun!
  • coburngirl
    coburngirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Being a walk leader looks like so much fun and definitely something I'm looking to as well in the near future. I have a friend who teaches a lite and fit type class for those who normally can't do the regular fitness classes and she incorporates a lot of the walking moves. Her people NEVER miss a class and the smiles are endless. i would love to bring something like this to the gym at the military installation I live near or the Parks and Rec.