FIRST YEAR OF KNOWING I HAVE PCOS!!!! MEGGA SCARRY STUFF!!

Options
So.. Ive never done anything like this before posted publicly... Im 21 and Ive had pcos since I was 12 and I only found this out within the last 6 months to a year...I don't know about you ladies but I have gone through some traumatic stuff because of this curse... and NO one seems to understand. I have the typical symptoms... overweight (mostly in stomach),pimples out the woa zoo!!! emotional wreck, I struggle with facial and body hair, I have dirty neck and pits, skin tags (little ones thank you Jesus), Im not balding but my hair slowly seems to get a little thinner over time. I have the greasiest hair.... I have to wash my hair every morning or I look like I haven't taken a shower since dinosaurs roamed. I have unpredictable bleeding! I have clots at times the size of my fist. Ive never had an ultrasound so I don't know how badly my cysts are on my ovaries. Im terrified that ill never have children even though that's all ive ever wanted since I was a little girl. I have terrible mood swings and I cry very easily... I can just look at carbs and gain weight.... I HATE PCOS! Some days Im strong and other days I binge eat at wendys and then eat a gallon of icecream and cry....Other days I work out and eat right and have a smile on my face. I feel like Im going crazy! up and down up and down... never ending.. AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT FEELS THIS WAY AT TIMES!!??????! and will I be able to ever gain control.. I take Glumexa which is a generic brand of Metformin and it seems to help with the acne and my skin tone under my arms but that's about it.... I guess the reason why im saying all of this is to see If anyone can relate or am just crazy....??????? I will tell you this, it does feel good just letting this all out! lol

Replies

• nornas42
    nornas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    YOU'RE NOT CRAZY.

I found out I had PCOS at 18 after years of asking doctors what was wrong and NO ONE listening to me. I was just a "late bloomer" who ate too much even though no one did any blood work or asked what I ate.

Healthy food, bad food, it all ended up in weight gain. Emotional mess? Check. I've had major depression and been suicidal multiple times before my 25th birthday. Sometimes I've wondered if the reason I don't have typical PMS emotional symptoms is because -- I can have them all the time! My hormones are screwed up.

I've always wanted to be a mom, but for years I swore off kids, I didn't want to want something I couldn't have. It wasn't until I met my current doctor who told me PCOS could be manageable and possibly reversible if I worked for it. Not guaranteed, but it's happened....! NO ONE TOLD ME THIS. And I'm 28.

I'm just starting my journey and you'll see that I have a LONG ways to go yet. (Feel free to friend me). I can relate so much to you. Oily skin/hair, the weight gain, period problems (mine have lately disappeared altogether), weird skin issues, SO MUCH HAIR (I keep a mirror and tweezers at my computer because I literally pluck my chin hair EVERY DAY to keep it manageable.)

Best advice - you're young at 21. Start tracking calories and losing weight & the metformin can help with that. Get to a healthy place so when/if you're ready for kids, your body can be as ready as possible.

Something I tell all my new PCOS friends -- a coworker of mine with PCOS lost 60+ lbs and has maintained her goal weight for nearly 4 years now. Her periods are regular without any doctor help and she doesn't even need metformin! I don't know if she's lucky but I'm hoping for similar results.
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Nope not crazy just normal~
    We all feel like you feel sometimes. I've had PCOS since I was `19yrs old and i'm almost 28yrs. Its hard in the beginning there were plenty of why me's????? and plenty of God why????? But then I learned to push through (dont misunderstand i've had a challange for about 7yrs). Your doing fine. When you adjust to having to change your lifestyle because of PCOS you'll become a little more comfy in your skin (so to speak). Your picture shows a beautiful woman who is having a hard time of it right now. Just take one day at a time; one chapter at a time and you'll do fine~
    God bless