What do you wear when running?

Options
BigBigBertha
BigBigBertha Posts: 208 Member
Hi, what does everyone wear when running outdoors?

I've always been a treadmill runner, but recently I've got bored of the gym and I plan to start running in the lovely Norfolk countryside next week. I'm going to buy some running clothes for the cold weather in a few days but I'm unsure what's best to wear, I don't want to be too hot or cold. I'm thinking about a thermal base layer with a thin fleece or jacket over the top.

Oh, and any brand recommendations? Preferably as cheap as possible to do the job.

Replies

• Spikethered
    Options
    Hi,
    Currently I wear Nike shorts, a thermal Top with a long-sleeved one on top, and a lightweight running jacket/zipper . Decathlon do some good value running tops, but I tend to wear Nike. Not sure if this helps.
    Btw from Kent, so was 1C on today's run, so I wore gloves too :-)
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Right now - something warm!

My running kit is Karrimor stuff from Sports Direct so very cheap and cheerful. I have running tights, a vest with a built in bra shelf (I wear a sports bra too but together they work really well), a long sleeved top and a high vis gilet as I usually run in the dark at this time of year. I have socks with padded bits to avoid blisters, thin gloves and a hat. I usually start off feeling a little bit chilly, but warm up within 10 minutes or so.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    The advice usually is dress as if it's 10C warmer outside than it is so you don't over heat.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow
  • BigBigBertha
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, looks like layering it is then! Liking both Karrimor and Decathlon stuff for my budget, too much choice is the problem now!
  • watto1903
    watto1903 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Dont get caught out thinking that you need minimal clothing as you are going to get warm through the exercise. Layer up, as there is nothing less enjoyable than running out in cold weather and the wind/rain cutting through you!

In winter i generally go, base layer (invest in this - you want one that wicks sweat away from your skin) I'd make sure you get a decent brand, Nike Pro are decent for around £20. I then wear a t-shirt and a lightweight running jacket. I always wear running leggings, used to always wear shorts but now i've tried them i wouldn't go back when its cold!
    Then i finish it off with a beanie (again, one that wicks) and a pair of gloves. You can buy hat/glove combos pretty cheap these days.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Top Half, long sleeve base layer and a soft shell jacket, if it's really cold a merino wool base layer and another layer on top plus softshell jacket. Bottom half, running tights. Gloves, a buff round my neck and one of the headband things to keep ears warm. As has been mentioned the karrimor stuff at sports direct is good value as is the stuff at Decathalon.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Check out sportsshoes.com, they sell more than shoes ;o)

I have a variety of stuff, from Gore to Ronhill to Trespass, when it's cold out I wear my unpadded cycling tights under my shorts to stop my legs freezing, long sleeved top and a wind proof jacket, when it's really cold a hat and gloves too.
  • BigBigBertha
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice :) I plan to get down to sports direct tomorrow and get a moisture wicking base layer, a jacket and some gloves. And then just to wait for the snow to melt...
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    I like to go out with a backpack. One that I can shed layers into as I warm up, and can put the layers back on if I slow down towards the end of my run.