family members that share MS with you?

Options
Bbwnomore2
Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
my mom was diagnosed with MS in her early 50's, I was diagnosed at age 22,one brother was diagnosed in his late 40's. I remember years ago when my mom and I attended meetings it was rare that family members shared it, now i think how odd that all three of us have it. My mom has sinced passed away

Replies

• aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My Grandmother had it, although at the time(1960's) , they didn't call in MS, my 2nd Cousin also has it, but no one else in my immediate family yet. I know a lot of scientist and doctors refuse to believe it's genetic, even though they have proved that it can be.
    I have a theory about vaccinations given in the 1980's causing a spike in the number of cases among 20 somethings but that's a whole other thread in itself.
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My Grandmother had it, although at the time(1960's) , they didn't call in MS, my 2nd Cousin also has it, but no one else in my immediate family yet. I know a lot of scientist and doctors refuse to believe it's genetic, even though they have proved that it can be.
    I have a theory about vaccinations given in the 1980's causing a spike in the number of cases among 20 somethings but that's a whole other thread in itself.
    you say yet? are u scared others like your child may get it? I have that fear, I have a preteen and I am always thinking wow
    I was like that.Like when she sleeps alot and whatnot
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have 8 brothers and sisters and none of them have it. My dad had 12 siblings and none of them have it and my Mom and her sister dont' have it.

I'm not saying it isn't possible but I personally think it has more to do with environment than with family traits. It is possible that because families grow up in the same environment they get the same reactions to it. I read one research study that was to do with people from areas near the equator who move to Canada. The theory was that if they lived near the equator (more sun) until at least their 14th birthday that they were much less likely to get MS than if they moved to Canada in their pre-teen years.
  • ebbtime
    ebbtime Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    No one else in my family has it......Immediate or otherwise. But......my only sibling, my brother Kevin, passed away in 1980 from complications of pneumonia. Dr's say he had something called Neuronal-Axonal Infantile Dystrophy. Which is also a nervous system condition. An autopsy was never done but I do believe this is what he had.

My daughter has an Aunt on her dads side who also has MS. I'm worried for her. Also, out of my three teenage sons, one is my clone & I'm very worried about him as well. It's a wait-and-see-and-pray time.
  • zenzoes
    zenzoes Posts: 187
    Options
    No one in my family has or has had MS. We do though have a long line of muscular dystrophy which I happen to have both MS and MD. Fun times! I hope you get the info you are seeking, it's always so important to always be gathering information, especially about this disease.