Group Rides

Options
So how do you feel about Group Rides specifically

No Rider Left Behind

Most rides I head out on I go alone, because I've begun to hesitate to join group rides. I'm invited often, but generally decline. Being a really heavy cyclist (which I'm working on changing) I am in no way as fast as that 90 pound cyclist, and I find that I have to ride at my 100% effort the entire ride to keep up. If I back off at all they leave me. I find it takes the pleasure out of the ride. I also feel that it is rude to invite me an then leave me. I know I'm sensitive just wanted to know if others feel the same way.

Replies

• BIRDIEBL8
    BIRDIEBL8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I see alot of group rides in my area but for many of the same reasons I don't join. Also I am prone to "stop & smell the roses" However they give me some great ideas for new places to ride at my own pace.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    One of the hardest parts of riding with someone else, whether just a group of friends or a set group ride, it finding one that is the right ability level. I hold "group of friends" rides to a higher standard of not leaving people because they all know each other.

A, B, C, and D rides can have wildly different definitions from group to group. I've been "B" rides that say they will average 17 to 18 mph. They don't tell you that it's over very steep hills, making it a very challenging ride. I've see A rides that average 16 mph over flat terrain.

Our team rides change from season to season. In the winter, they are about 16 to 17 mph over 40 miles of relatively flat roads with just a couple climbs. We wait at the top of each climb. In the summer, it's like a race from the start and can average 20+ mph.

As a result, I tend to look more for group rides that list average speed, terrain profiles, and their rule on regrouping on their website.
  • DulcimerGuy
    DulcimerGuy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If one doesn't feel comfortable with some of the group rides offered, perhaps the best option is to lead a group ride yourself. You might be surprised how many folks are looking for a casual or slower ride....and hesitate to join group rides because of the reason you just mentioned. :)
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Sounds as if you all feel the same as I do, I ride tremendous miles and I live in the mountains, carrying 200+ pounds up a grade takes a lot more work and time than carrying up 90 pounds. I'm fine with the regrouping thing, but to just flat out leave me, no. I think I'll stick to riding alone most times. They tell me in my club that I recruit new riders more than anyone else. I love to introduce people to the sport, but they eventually get faster than me. I love to ride, think I'll swear off most group rides ... rudeness takes the pleasure out of the ride. Next year this time I plan not to be carrying 200+ pounds up that grade.
  • caddis1
    caddis1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I joined a club where the rides are broken into AA,A,B,C the speed is posted but sometimes you will get the bonehead that tries to prove that he's race ready. The slower groups have a no drop policy and after awhile you'll find the people that tend to ride at your pace. It is much more fun riding with a group and you'll find you push yourself more keeping up with the others. The main rule is to stay with folks your own pace.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    If one doesn't feel comfortable with some of the group rides offered, perhaps the best option is to lead a group ride yourself. You might be surprised how many folks are looking for a casual or slower ride....and hesitate to join group rides because of the reason you just mentioned. :)

The group ride in question was actually my idea. I posted it on Facebook that I was going to ride out to the boulder and take pictures. A friend ask if she could join me, I said yes. Then she invited the monster woman in our area that likes to rub it in that she is a speed demon and she brought another speed demon demon. The plan when we started out was to ride together to a certain point. Monster woman would do a side trip since "30 miles wasn't worth a ride". Then we would regroup and ride back. So we started out and that is where any together ended. We regrouped at the boulder, and then when we started back. They shouted see you in a few minutes. And that was it. When I got back to the parking area ... they had already left.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I joined a more casual bike group on meetup.com, as I found it less intimidating than the more formal bike clubs. For the most part, we're given the pace, elevation change, trail or road conditions, etc.... It took a long time to find a group tha was so straight forward, but I really appreciate them now. Keep looking, or just go with friends, assigning each person as a rotating leader so you get a variety of routes.
  • allenhandley
    allenhandley Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Our group rides generally have three categories: A -B - C. I ride B and we generally avg 15 - 16.

1. The A group tend to hang together and it is each rider for himself. 40 + miles
    2. The B group is a no-drop group with usually 2 stops. Even within the group, some of the stronger riders will drop back to help pace others back up. 30 + miles (at least half that will go +)
    3. The C group is usuall for the new riders and is led by someone from LBS. They take nice easy pace, obviously no drop, and learn basic skills for group rides. 10 - 20 miles.
  • RedSunshine365
    RedSunshine365 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

.......... They shouted see you in a few minutes. And that was it. When I got back to the parking area ... they had already left.

OUCH! That's TERRIBLE! I can see why you'd never want to do a group ride again. I wouldn't either.

Group rides cause me a great deal of anxiety and I stick to what's comfortable and ride alone. Yet, I know that in order for me to face my anxieties, I'm gonna have to get uncomfortable. I figure if I'm going to ride alone anyway, what difference does it make if the group leaves me (so long as I"ve prepared myself for exactly that situation).

I'm fortunate to have a very large, active cycling club near me and they have strict guidelines about the rides. I've gone on a few "C" rides and although I knew I could ride faster than the rest, it helped me with the group ride anxiety. I'm going to shoot for a B/C or B ride this summer.

Here's how the rides are defined: http://www.biketcbc.org/key.html
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I've seen many group rides that have specific pacers for the fast, medium, and slow riders. It really is a "no rider left behind" mentality. Riding just a little above your comfort level will get you some speed gains.