half marathon end of May

Options
jocamaria
jocamaria Posts: 25 Member
I'm running my first half in the end of May in Boston. I start week 2 of my training plan tomorrow. If anyone else is out there training for a half around that time, then I'd love to chat with you.

Replies

• a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm also running my first half at the end of May (the 26th). Though I haven't started the training plan that I mapped out yet. :)
  • jocamaria
    Options
    I'm curious. What plan are you using?
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I've extended Hal Higdon's Novice 2 plan to 16 weeks, so... kind of that?
    How about you?
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Hello, ive just finished a 10 miler last sunday and looking to do a half soonish. I can manage upt o 11 miles so figured the last 2 would be mind over matter! I have signed up to anything yet but will do soon.
  • jocamaria
    Options
    I've extended Hal Higdon's Novice 2 plan to 16 weeks, so... kind of that?
    How about you?

I'm using a 16 week plan that I found on halfmarathons.net. It basically breaks out to the same mileage as most plans out there.
  • jocamaria
    Options
    Hello, ive just finished a 10 miler last sunday and looking to do a half soonish. I can manage upt o 11 miles so figured the last 2 would be mind over matter! I have signed up to anything yet but will do soon.

That's awesome. If you can run 11, you can run 13. Good luck.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    You must be doing the Run to Remember. Good luck! I hear it's a good one. That one is a little late for me. I need to be focusing on swimming and biking to prep for June triathlons at that time. I'm doing the Half at the Hamptons in February, and still trying to pick something for April.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half marathon in Chicago in May. It'll be my second.
  • jocamaria
    Options
    You must be doing the Run to Remember. Good luck! I hear it's a good one. That one is a little late for me. I need to be focusing on swimming and biking to prep for June triathlons at that time. I'm doing the Half at the Hamptons in February, and still trying to pick something for April.

I am doing the Run to Remember. Are you in the New England area? I hear the half in the Hamptons is great - too early and too cold for me. What triathon are you doing?
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I'm in Westford MA. Did the half at the hamptons last year - in unseasonably warm temps - it was great! Not expecting the same conditions this year though. As long as it is just regular cold and not this crazy below zero wind chill stuff, it should be fine.
    Haven't picked out my tri's for this year, but there is one in Nashua in early June that will probably be my first; there's one in July in Littleton that I will probably do; I usually do the Title 9 in Hopkinton in September; possibly the SheRox in August. I'm looking for a good Olympic Distance for August or late July, so that could effect which other races I do.
  • rdennisjr
    rdennisjr Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    1st half for me May 5 in Lincoln, NE....working the runner's world smartcoach app and then tracking with mapmyrun for GPS and time splits....I'll make it - might walk some but trying to not and shooting for under 2:30 and hoping for about 2:05...
  • jocamaria
    Options
    1st half for me May 5 in Lincoln, NE....working the runner's world smartcoach app and then tracking with mapmyrun for GPS and time splits....I'll make it - might walk some but trying to not and shooting for under 2:30 and hoping for about 2:05...

I also you mapmyrun. I'm going to cehck out the app. Good luck.
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm doing the Cellcom Green Bay half in May. It will be my fourth. I use Hal Higdon's training plans and have been happy with them. If you have been running for a while a 12 week plan should work just fine.

Have fun and enjoy your run.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Im using the rw smart coach plan for my half in march.
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Hal Higdon's intermediate 1. The Novice 2 seems too little, but the intermediate 1 seems to be a big jump from my normal weeks. So I may end up blending the two. We shall see :)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Doing number 3 in March and another in April. Happy to share tips and encouragement.
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just finished my 2nd, running my 3rd in April, and my 4th in May.

Also happy to keep in touch, trade tips, and share successes!
  • jacquiroxx922
    jacquiroxx922 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If I get chosen for Broad Street this year, I'll be doing a 10 miler in the beginning of May. The lottery starts on Monday and I won't find out the results until the 19th. Regardless, I'll be doing a half on June 9th, so that's close enough :) I joined a training team and am following their plan-- I like to train with a team for long runs because it holds me accountable.
  • Jax_30
    Jax_30 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am running my first in San Fran 12 weeks tomorrow..... I start my plan tomorrow!! Whoot!!! So pumped!!
  • JulesX1982
    JulesX1982 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am also running my second half marathon in May in Toronto, Ontario Canada, I am using Hal Higdon's intermediate program which is starting on Monday, I finished my first in 2:12:00 and hoping to get a better time this one arou d. So happy to join the discussion grip and I am open to any advice given!!!!