Help! Need Clarification!

Options
Ok, I did my first workout tonight...not sure if I did it correctly, so I wanted to make sure b4 Wednesday when I do Workout B.

1. What weight should I start with? I'm 5'6" 198 lbs

2. Do I go up on weight after every set (for example: set 1- 50lbs, set 2 - 55lbs, etc.) or on the next workout (example: workout a day 1 - all sets done at 50lbs.; workout a day 2 - all sets done at 55lbs.) ?

Replies

• daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    1. Because you increase weight quickly, you should start with any work weight that will allow you to maintain proper form for all 5 sets. For the men, often a starting work weight of the empty bar is recommended (45 lb). I found that way too heavy for me and started at 25 lb (I have a lighter bar). Also, do warm up sets (at least 4) of increasing weights (about 15 #) until you reach ww. At the beginning, I used a broomstick to warm up, but later on when my ww was at least 25 # heavier than my empty bar, I started my warm up with the empty bar.

2. The same work weight is done for the entire 5x5 in one session. Increase the ww for squats only the next session (although deadlifts can be started at higher weight). The increases are made for each exercise individually. If you start with 50 # on all your exercises, by the third session, you will have 60 # squats, 55 # bp, 55 # row.

This is based on my own experience and what I've read. Hope that helps.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting the program!
  • New_Jayme
    Options
    Thanks y'all! :smile:
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    1. Because you increase weight quickly, you should start with any work weight that will allow you to maintain proper form for all 5 sets. For the men, often a starting work weight of the empty bar is recommended (45 lb). I found that way too heavy for me and started at 25 lb (I have a lighter bar). Also, do warm up sets (at least 4) of increasing weights (about 15 #) until you reach ww. At the beginning, I used a broomstick to warm up, but later on when my ww was at least 25 # heavier than my empty bar, I started my warm up with the empty bar.

2. The same work weight is done for the entire 5x5 in one session. Increase the ww for squats only the next session (although deadlifts can be started at higher weight). The increases are made for each exercise individually. If you start with 50 # on all your exercises, by the third session, you will have 60 # squats, 55 # bp, 55 # row.

This is based on my own experience and what I've read. Hope that helps.

Nice clarification! Thanks!