Breastfeeding moms

Options
smte
smte Posts: 95 Member
How many calories are you consuming now? What did you put your settings at to help determine your daily caloories? I've never logged my food/calories while nursing, I'd like to lose some weight, but not at the expense of my baby...need to make sure he's getting the nutrients he needs!

Replies

• TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm not breastfeeding yet (due 2/19) but a lot of moms on here are and there are a lot in the Post Partum Pack group as well :-) I've read to not go under 1800 calories no matter what but this is definitely an individual issue!
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My lactation consultant said that I should count on between 300-500 calories (depending on supply) for nursing. So when I was breastfeeding I would add 500 to my 1200 diet.
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that each ounce of milk you produce is approximately 20 calories expended. So 20 oz is about 400 calories. I was lucky if I could get 10 oz a day with my son, so I'm no expert!
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you are exclusively breastfeeding, you will need about 500 extra calories. So set your calories to lose 1/2 pound or a pound or whatever you want a week and then add 500 calories to that. If you find you aren't losing, reduce it a bit more. Some women find breastfeeding melts the baby weight off, but I was one of the unlucky ones who had a hard time losing any weight until I stopped breastfeeding, and then it came off really quickly. But it was worth carrying around those extra pounds for a year to be able to breastfeed.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I never tracked calories when I breastfed my first two, but I can tell you that if I tried to cut back on calories, I quickly lost my milk supply. I would start with just eating as you are and maybe try cutting back by 100 calories a week to see what is a good point to keep milk production. That is my plan with this one anyway!