world of warcraft

Ericsawicki
Ericsawicki Posts: 75 Member
I've been thinking about getting into world of warcraft, but i'm not sure. I've never done any PC gaming (just consoles) and i'm wondering how complicated and time consuming it actually is. please help!

Replies

• laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    It can consume your soul, if you let it. I play quite a bit. Started out several years ago as essentially a non-gamer, and there was an adjustment period where I learned the mechanics of the game. I probably drove my husband (fiance at the time) nuts asking questions and needing help at first, but eventually I was quite competent and now I am rather accomplished, working on challenging, end-game content. One thing I LOVE about WoW is the social component of the game. We have a number of friends we group with regularly and we have built friendships among this group that extend far beyond what we do together in the game.

If you have friends who play, make sure you start out on the same server and in the same faction, and I am sure they will enjoy helping you get off to a fine start.

Edited for clarity.
  • kellymorris55
    kellymorris55 Posts: 6 Member
    I've been playing since the Burning Crusades expansion and I used to raid 5-6 days per week. The game can get pretty consuming but not so much because of the content but more or less the social aspect of it. I loved just doing random things like fishing and cooking achievements with my friends when we were not raiding. There is so much to do in the game. It is a really fun game and the people who I play with are my friends. Not just online friends but legit friends. It is extremely fun and I am sure you will like it lots.

I took some time away from raiding because I am concentrating on my other games. WoW isn't a "gamer friendly" game, it's so time consuming sometimes that it takes you away from other games. Catching up on my other games has been so fun lately. You can catch me on steam at: b17flygirl
  • Ericsawicki
    thank you. The next question is, where should I start?
  • laserturkey
    Do you know anyone else currently playing the game that you might want to team up with?

The MFP guild is on the server called Lightbringer, so if you roll an Alliance toon you would have a guild to join and they can be a good resource to a new player.

If you're wondering how to get the actual game, you can download it if you start at battle.net, I believe.
  • Ericsawicki
    that's great! i was actually wondering which version I should buy (there are about 6 i think), or if I should just download like you said.
  • laserturkey
    Ah! I think there are package deals where you can get most of the expansion packs and the original game pretty cheaply. If you think you are likely to be in the game for the long haul, might be good to start off buying most of it at once, if there is a savings that way. Otherwise, if you get your character(s) to the end of one expansion you'll have to download each subsequent one as it comes.

The original game is sometimes called "vanilla" WoW or "classic" WoW (levels 1-60)
    1st expac was Burning Crusade (61-70, new zones, races, and professions)
    2nd was Wrath of the Lich King (71-80, new zones)
    3rd was Cataclysm (81-85, new races and zones)
    latest one is Mists of Pandaria (86-90, new race and zones)
  • Ericsawicki
    you are a wealth of knowledge. thank you very much.
  • laserturkey
    Any time! Glad to help!
  • For what its worth, on your first time out I'd go for a PvE server. I rolled on a PvP server first time out and I hated the constant player killing when I was trying to quest in Stranglethorn Vale :)
  • Ericsawicki
    one last question before i make the leap. Is WOW pay per play? as in, do I have to pay for minutes/time to play even after buying the software?
  • Ericsawicki
    nevermind, I found the answer.