Prenatal Yoga

Options
TheLaser
TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
I'm starting this thread on prenatal yoga so that we can all learn about our experiences with prenatal yoga, discover new resources, and generally learn about how prenatal yoga can help with pregnancy and labor and delivery.

Before getting pregnant, I had gone to yoga classes only a handful of times and did not enjoy it at all, but I've recently started attending prenatal yoga classes 3-4 times a week because I've heard how beneficial it can be for labor. I've been checking out a lot of different studios, and the classes have ranged from very non-taxing with a primary focus on relaxation, to fairly strenuous with a lot of breathing techniques (my fave!). When I asked one teacher about the philosophy and range, she said that a major goal of prenatal and yoga in general is to enter a state of deep relaxation so that even when pain or contractions come, you are able to more easily work through them (rather than against them) and reserve energy in order to endure longer. That said, a friend of mine said that she had taken very strenuous prenatal yoga classes focused on specific positions that strengthened certain muscles used labor, but she said nothing about the relaxation aspect. Any thoughts from those of you who do yoga regularly or have delivered using prenatal yoga techniques?

Another side benefit of prenatal yoga is getting to know other pregnant women in the area (although here in New England I must say that people are notoriously difficult to get to know, even in this setting!).

Has anyone been doing online prenatal yoga courses, or using dvd's? Which ones are best? I tried one from my local library and the yogi was the weirdest, creepiest lady and I can't stand listening to her freaky voice. I think it was called "Baby and Mamma Yoga" and deceptively featured a really pretty, fit, youngish pregnant woman on the cover.

Replies

• moondust7
    moondust7 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    LOL I love your description of the lady on your yoga dvd.

I love yoga. I have occasional back / sciatic nerve pain, and yoga is a HUGE help. It also helps me sleep better. Before I was pregnant I liked a DVD workout called Trudie Styler's Warrior Yoga. I really liked the 25-minute routine - it seemed to really stretch me out well and was fast paced enough that I wasn't bored. I'm only 5w1d, but have been doing the Gaiam Prenatal Yoga DVD (Shiva Rea's). I really like it. It focuses on using / holding poses to strengthen muscles and relieve tension. Note: Shiva Rea is a total California hippy yoga lady, and at first I wasn't sure what I thought of her, but I really love her now. It's a good workout. This is my first pregnancy so I can't say if it helps during labor, but I think in general that yoga is really good for relieving aches/pains and I'm definitely going to keep doing it throughout the pregnancy.

Good thread... I'll be looking for a few other prenatal yoga DVDs so I'm curious to hear if any others have recommendations.
  • kristapennie
    kristapennie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE my prenatal yoga class....I go every Tuesday but may even start twice a week.

Its similar to what you've described, a lot of focus on Pranayama (breathing techniques) mixed in with some strength and stretching.
    Warrior pose is great for strengthening your legs and my instructor keeps reminding us how you need strong legs to give birth!

The last 10 minutes of class we lie on our left sides with a yoga bolster between our knees and ankles to align our hips, this is my absolute favourite part of the class and I'm considering ordering my own bolster to take practice at home!

My class also holds a baby & mama class which I fully intend on taking post birth.
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    When I took prenatal yoga with a previous pregnany, we used pillows instead of bolsters..... just a thought....
    I did find it helpful and really thought about breathing and controlling myself from within.... focusing on using the contractions to open up my body.
    I was just thinking of getting some more yoga in.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have the Crunch Prenatal Yoga DVD or something like that. It's 45 minutes and it's decent. I like more fitness based yoga (that's what I do at our gym) and this is more breathing based and it can be a bit too mellow for me than I like, but it works. My 2 yo likes to do it with me and tells me that he's holding his food baby (don't get me started, something my SIL started that I don't approve of).
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    I was an avid Yogi before I was preggo, but loved the hot yoga studio's and more strenuous practices. I currently go to a pre-natal class once a week and bought a Groupon for 5 'mommy and me' post natal classes.

I wish I could afford to go more than once a week, but all the classes at my Y are a little too non-preggo friendly and I suck at practicing at home. (Cats in the way, distraction, eh...)

Either way I think its an amazing way to prepare and I hope my former glory as a hard core enthusiast will serve me well even though I haven't been great at keeping up with it!