30/30 Hoop Challenge

Options
summer8it
summer8it Posts: 433 Member
I know that Kayemme and I have been doing Hooping.org's 30/30 Hoop Challenge (hoop at least 30 minutes a day for 30 days straight; I started January 1.) Today's day 23 for me, and although I've had a couple of days that I didn't hoop for the full 30 minutes, I have practiced every day. I've never had a streak this long of consistent daily practice!

Is anyone else doing the challenge now? Or is anyone up for keeping it going into February and beyond?

Replies

• ThereOnceWasAUnionMaid
    Options
    That's a great idea. I need to make myself a new hoop but I may try to do a 30/28 challenge for February :)
  • summer8it
    Options
    I really want to keep up the habit of daily practice. I'm lucky enough to be able to take weekly hoop dance classes, but it's not enough - I need the regular practice to really absorb what I'm learning in class!

So let's do it. Let's set the goal to hoop every day in February!
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You make hoops? Out of what?

Sorry- I didn't quote-- this is directed to the lady who makes hoops!
  • Sickkandtired
    Options
    I started the 30/30 on January, so I'm on day 55. Still hooping, I love it. It's fun and a great workout.
  • BettyIW
    BettyIW Posts: 103
    Options
    I exercise with a weighted hoola hoop. I've been doing it for about a year. Not every day though, sometimes I hoop, use the treadmill or go bicycling when weather permits.

Question: When I took a class the instructor said that hoola hooping burns 10 calories per minute. MFP does not give you that many calories burned. What calculations do you use?

I hoop with just one weighted hoola hoop but I also do arm exercises while I'm hooping or will 'jog' in place while hooping. I find it to be quite a workout. I love it.

I do travel with my part time job and when I fly I am not able to bring my hoola hoop with me so I can't promise to do a 30/30.
  • summer8it
    Options
    Hooray for everyone who has been hooping every day! And also for everyone who is hooping as much as they can!

Except for the week I had a sinus infection, I've hooped every day this year. In February, I haven't been holding myself to 30 minutes -- some of my practices have been shorter, and that's OK. I've still been seeing great gains in my skill level, just by consistently picking my hoop up every day.

BettylW, have you thought about getting a collapsible hoop for travel? I have one that I bought from Hippie Hoops on etsy, and I love it. You'll also find that with a lighter hoop you'll be able to do more than just hoop around your waist... lighter dance hoops open up all kinds of possibilities for hooping on and off the body.

For me, I find that hooping burns around 300 calories an hour, but I figured that out by taking my heart rate several times during a hoop session and doing the math. There are a lot of great calorie burn calculators online that will help you figure out your calorie burn when you know your average heart rate.
  • BettyIW
    BettyIW Posts: 103
    Options
    Thanks Summer8it! I'll check it out. Wow, calories are way less than what our instructor said. I've not purchased a heart monitor yet. Collapsible hoola?? I'll have to check that out. THANKS!
    Betty in Minnesota
  • peace_frog21
    peace_frog21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I make collapsibles. :-)

I have varying inputs for hooping on my tracker. Light hooping moderate hooping and pouring the sweat hooping :-)
  • LaurenLPitt
    LaurenLPitt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is a cool idea! I'm thinking of trying it!