low carb and running

sorry if this has been posted before...

I have recently been put on a very low carb diet by my doctor and nutritionist. I am also a runner, mostly half marathons. Has anyone else done low carb while also running long distances? any advice? I normally eat a few more carbs in the few days prior to a race but now I won't have that option. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Replies

• marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    I come from a long line of diabetics, and watch carbs carefully. I am also very interested in the topic. Here in South Africa, a well respected sport scientist (and distance runner) made a statement about a year ago that he runs better on a low carb diet (http://www.discovery.co.za/email_za/mailers/pdfs/general/noakes.pdf). It unleashed a debate that has been raging with people fiercely defending both sides. You can google Tim Noakes diet.

Personally I do not know the answer. I have been experimenting on longer distances. I run on a low glycaemic index fuel (32GI). It took me a couple of long runs to get used to it as it doesn't spike your blood sugar as the gels do. It just delivers a constant stream of low GI fuel. I team that with Perpetuem (a protein feed) for my 20-milers and longer. On the real long runs I need something to 'line' my stomach otherwise it gets irritated (and then I lose my sense of humor). Right at the last water point of a marathon I might drink Coke or Powerade if I feel I need an energy boost to finish,but avoid it earlier in a race.

Before long runs I have stopped carboloading as such and just eat a proper decent meal the night before. I haven't hit the wall yet, but I am experimenting as I go to find the balance that I need. Your body might take a while to adapt, I struggled on the low GI drink initially.

Let us know how it goes.
  • shaunwewege
    shaunwewege Posts: 14 Member
    Not entirely sure of the answer but there are a growing number of endurance athletes who fuel using protein. You may have to gradually change your carb-protein ratio as you run though. I wouldn't advise making the switch over-night.

I don't particularly follow a specific high-protein or traditional diet (with a ratio of 55/30/15 - carb/fat/protein) but tend to err towards slightly more protein normally, but fuel up for races using a combination of low and high GI fuels. It depends on distance and type of sport.

For marathons and ultra-distance triathlons I might use a combination of high/low GI carbs. At some point I'll eat solid food as well (the bigger events here dish up salted boiled potatoes or sandwiches with marmite/oxo). For shorter events I might just grab a coke/pepsi or use a gel.

You didn't specify why you were switched to a low carb diet. If it's purely for weight loss you could possibly stick to your current pre-race routine for longer races. If it's for health reasons, such as diabetes, I would ask your doctor for guidance.
  • CGPrincessWarrior
    CGPrincessWarrior Posts: 76 Member
    You didn't specify why you were switched to a low carb diet. If it's purely for weight loss you could possibly stick to your current pre-race routine for longer races. If it's for health reasons, such as diabetes, I would ask your doctor for guidance.

My doctor switched me to a low carb diet so I am always talking to my weight loss team about these issues (doctor, nutritionist, personal trainer). I just wanted to get some advice from people who may run on a low carb diet to see what works well and what doesn't. I guess I'm nervous about changing things so dramatically but I know I'll be fine :)