So THIS is where the strong girls are!......

Options
RacheUk82
RacheUk82 Posts: 70 Member
:wink:

Hi All!

Im Rachael, and hope to be starting S5x5 on Monday!

I was attempting NROL4W but was fed up of moving a million places around the gym and trying to workout all the exercises. So S5x5 seems so much more straightforward and manageable.

Im going into the gym tomorrow, the bar without weights is 45lb, and I don't think I could lift that right now, so there is a lighter bar in the women's section( a studio bar?) that I think I will use to warm up, and load it up and see how I go for my 5x5s.

Im actually excited to start this and want to go to the gym..... something I never thought i'd hear.

So ladies, please say you'll look after me ?:blushing:

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

of course we will! If you've been doing NROL, I bet you can manage the empty bar - 5 reps isn't very many compared to what I think New rules has you doing for the first few rounds? You might surprise yourself! But - do start where you feel comfortable ,the weight comes up fast so there's no harm in starting lighter.

a women's oly bar is 35, a 'standard' bar (not usually quite as long and thinner, but still much longer than a curl bar) is about 18. That's all in lbs.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you've been doing New Rules I bet you can do the big bar. Have faith! You are probably stronger than you think.
  • RacheUk82
    Options
    Thanks Girls,

The big bar is in the scary gym bit :/ Im going in early tomorrow, so I might just have a sneaky feel to gauge the weight and just see what I can do.

Am I correct in that the first starting weight is 20kg/44lb which is the empty bar? I don't know if I could do 5x5 but I will have a go.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Thanks Girls,

The big bar is in the scary gym bit :/ Im going in early tomorrow, so I might just have a sneaky feel to gauge the weight and just see what I can do.

Am I correct in that the first starting weight is 20kg/44lb which is the empty bar? I don't know if I could do 5x5 but I will have a go.

yes it is. Give it a try, really. I think you'll find that its not as much as your'e thinking.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    take it from me, a girl trying to be strong....the big bar is intimidating but once you do it, you till rock it!!

I started with 35 lbs just 2 weeks ago.... it was easy but I was being a lil punk about it... now that Ive embraced it, I did 45 lbs and laughed at my hesitation... not that it was super easy, but it wasnt life shattering as I expected

these girls are GREAT!! you'll be fine...
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I've done NROLFW too, so the big bar doesn't intimidate me for squats, bench, row & DL. I'm still awful at overhead press though. I did my first workout B today, and 5x5 with the 45 lb. bar was do-able, but tough. Hang in there!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Of course! I'm just second week in to Stronglifts!

Off to the gym I go.. :)
  • RacheUk82
    Options
    Well, Got to the gym on Friday to have a look in prep for s5x5, and some dufus had put three super heavy bars on the squat rack, right in the middle, and they were too low for me to avoid and too heavy for me to move :/

I used the bench press machine, and managed 15kg 5x5 which I was quite pleased with, Then used 8kg dumbells in each hand to do some upright rows.

There was a smaller bar in the girls section, which I put 7.5kg on each end, so not really sure how much the bar weighed in total?
    It wasn't in a rack, so was concerned about moving this to my back with substantial weight on?
    My biggest issue is resting.... I am impatient!

Dont think I did too badly, aching like a beaaatch now though!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Of course we have your back! Welcome to the group :)

Edit to fix my horrible Saturday night spelling.....lol