DOMS?

Options
sarahisme18
sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
I started following SL5x5 about 2.5 weeks ago. I'd been doing a little lifting before that, mostly isolation moves and also some machine work, so SL actually felt like a good challenge for me when I began. The first time I did a squat with only the bar (45lb), I couldn't walk for at least two days, haha!

When I began, I was having a little trouble getting over the mental block of heavy weight. A couple of my first sessions didn't feel like much and I got through my sets very, very easily because I was starting with low weight (lower than what Mehdi recommends to begin). I'm glad I didn't go super heavy to begin with so as not to hurt myself, and also glad I worked on my form first, but now I feel like I've finally gotten to the point where I'm feeling challenged by the weight during my sessions. By the last set, I'm really pushing through, which I think is good.

But... I'm hardly feeling any DOMS the next day. Yesterday I did a session, and I'm feeling a very small amount of soreness in my shoulders and chest, but absolutely none in my legs. I've added to my squat, and I'm really trying to focus on getting parallel and getting my form right (the squats are so far the hardest for me on form), but I'm discouraged that I'm not feeling much DOMS. Am I not lifting heavy enough?

Here's some more information...

- I have been doing all 5 exercises three days a week with rest days in between. I wanted to do more in my gym time and get more days in per week, and didn't see why this couldn't/shouldn't be done

- I always warm up with 5-10 minutes jog, and I always stretch after

- My weights currently are:

Squat 55lb
OHP 40lb
Bench 45lb
Deadlift 80lb
Row 60lb

So... should I not worry about the lack of DOMS and just keep going up as I have been based on being able to finish my sets and the difficulty there? Should I maybe not do all 5 on the same day?

Thanks for any input!

Replies

• a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    DOMS appears to subside for most of us...at least per our conversations in the daily thread.

I know it did for me, and I miss it, lol.

I do notice I will get it if I take a longer break than usual, but for the most part - your body seems to get used to whats happening.

However, you should split up the lifts and follow the program just as written. The weights increase very quickly and very soon you will not have enough gas in the tank to tackle all the lifts in one day. Don't be in such a rush and enjoy these early days - it gets hard quickly!

Congrats on getting over the mental block of heavy lifting!
  • sarahisme18
    Options
    DOMS appears to subside for most of us...at least per our conversations in the daily thread.

I know it did for me, and I miss it, lol.

I do notice I will get it if I take a longer break than usual, but for the most part - your body seems to get used to whats happening.

However, you should split up the lifts and follow the program just as written. The weights increase very quickly and very soon you will not have enough gas in the tank to tackle all the lifts in one day. Don't be in such a rush and enjoy these early days - it gets hard quickly!

Congrats on getting over the mental block of heavy lifting!

Phew, glad it wasn't just me. That makes me feel better about it! I thought perhaps I wasn't really working as hard as I thought I was.

Re: splitting up and following the program: that's a good point, I didn't think about that. I did notice that during my last session, I actually ended up taking a little longer between sets especially on deadlifts and OHP, and so it was taking a LONG time and I was getting tired. That is good advice, so thanks for that!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I *never* got DOMS on SL 5x5, pretty much. I mean I'm sure I did but it was rare as hell. . Now I get them occasionally - usually when I try some new assistance movement or I overload an assistance movement that I have trouble with (GOOD MORNINGS) and then I'll be a bit doms-y but yeah, its actually a positive thing, it means your body has adapated.

For the record, I read a very long article somewhere on DOMS, and according to current knowledge of them - there's absolutely no evidence that they mean anything in terms of effort or growth. All they mean is that you're sore.
  • JBG1987
    JBG1987 Posts: 71
    Options
    What is DOMS?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    What is DOMS?

Delayed onset muscle soreness. Its the soreness you get 12-24 hours AFTER you did the activity. Like for me, I'll go to bed and feel fine, wake up and feel fine, and then by noon my legs are like "YOU BITCH, WHAT DID YOU DO"
  • sarahisme18
    Options
    I *never* got DOMS on SL 5x5, pretty much. I mean I'm sure I did but it was rare as hell. . Now I get them occasionally - usually when I try some new assistance movement or I overload an assistance movement that I have trouble with (GOOD MORNINGS) and then I'll be a bit doms-y but yeah, its actually a positive thing, it means your body has adapated.

For the record, I read a very long article somewhere on DOMS, and according to current knowledge of them - there's absolutely no evidence that they mean anything in terms of effort or growth. All they mean is that you're sore.

This is awesome and helpful. Thank you! I feel better already gals. :)
  • JBG1987
    JBG1987 Posts: 71
    Options
    Ahh. My doctor has always told me that it doesn't have to hurt to be a good workout.