Selling my bike--What should I do?

Options
contingencyplan
contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
Around the end of the summer I had to get surgery that put me out of commission, riding-wise, until after the cold weather had set in and I had to garage it for the winter. So my bike, which has been sitting since the summer, but was ridden daily up until then, is here in my garage, and was not adequately prepped for winter storage because the recovery was complicated and took a lot longer than it was supposed to, is now in my garage. I put stabilizer in the tank and did an oil change to it prior to going in for surgery, but that's about it.

Here's the thing: I really want to sell it and get something else, but I know that because of how long it's been sitting now (since late August actually) there's probably a fair bit I'll have to do to it maintenance-wise before I can. I'm just not sure WHAT exactly. Also, the inspection sticker expired while I was stuck in bed. Is getting the bike re-inspected a must before putting it on the market? I was kind of hoping to have it sold before winter ends, but if I have to get it re-inspected first, that's not gonna happen. I know that in the shape it's in, or was before I put it away, anyway, it would have passed inspection just fine.

So, what should I do? Should I just put an ad up how it is right now? Should I wait until Spring so that I can get it re-inspected and do the work to get it back on the road from sitting for 6 months again first? And if so, what do you think exactly that would entail?

It is a 2000 Suzuki SV650. Chain driven V-twin sport/standard, liquid cooled, carbureted.

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Late August isn't such a long time for a bike to be sitting idle, especially since you did put some gas stabilizer in it and changed the oil. Start it and let it run a bit, that will get the stabilizer all thru the system. Then maybe get a good carb cleaner and run that through.

I think your chances of selling it go up if it's inspected, but I don't think it's necessary. Just put in your add that the inspection ran out but it will pass inspection (if that's true, which it sounds like it is).

Good luck with selling it - and have fun looking for something new!
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I agree with Icimani.....August is nothing. Just say everything up front. Good luck on your sale.
  • dsl01
    dsl01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If it wasn't on a tender, the battery may be down, but it really hasn't been that long. Its been inside, you put in stabliizer so your SV should be fine.

I'd crank it , let it run a bit, check lights, fluid levels, all switches, tires/pressures, etc. to insure it all works well and safely, clean it up nicely and put it on the market. Depending on location, dead of winter can be a good time to buy, but may not be the best time to sell. SV's are popular but a lot of them out there have been trackday bikes and been thrashed pretty hard. A good one, like yours, might get the right buyer at any time, so put a fair price on it, see what happens. You can always decide to wait if offers are too low.
    Have no idea on inspection sticker, I've never lived in an area requiring them.
    Good luck and wish you a speedy recovery.
  • KevinS62
    KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong, but I would think you could get a better price for it as the weather starts getting better, Even down south, I think more people will be looking for boats, motorcycles, RVs, etc., as the weather gets warmer.

-Kevin