J.J. Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII

Options
doorki
doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/jj-abrams-set-direct-next-star-wars-film-exclusive-74596

Not being a Trekkie, I have to say I enjoyed what he did with Star Trek.

Replies

• bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I love ST. I hated the new movie. I'm the only one in my geek social circle who nitpicked it though. It gets even worse when I'm drunk. :) But then again, everyone else I know loves Fringe and Cloverfield. Meh.
  • ClarkWierda
    ClarkWierda Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For me, the reboot (which I think of as Star Trek 90210) didn't work. My suspenders of disbelief snapped.

I feel I would have had issues even if I knew nothing of the history of the show.

That said, it was a fun ride. I just had to turn my brain off and enjoy the flash.

I don't have much faith in Star Wars getting a better treatment. Of course, he will be compared to the re-writes that Lucas has done. This has significantly lowered the bar for him.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I'm a trekkie, but for TNG and I really enjoyed the reboot. Maybe it's because I like TOS but in an endearing campy way - the same way you like your drunk uncle that always tries to grope you on Thanksgiving (and happens to look like William Shatner). That being said I love a lot of what J.J. Abrams has done recently and so I will have faith that this could actually be worth doing!

Clark, you have a point too, the bar has been significantly lowered because of the prequels, though I don't think that'll stop any true elitist from hating it for petty reasons :laugh: :wink:
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    My first thought - way to destroy the legacy guys... but then, didn't the prequels and digital enhancements already do that?

That being said - I got tricked into seeing his version of Star Trek and was actually pleasantly surprised that he didn't totally s**tcan it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I am optimistic. Also some twitter comments made me lol

If JJ Abrams hadn't directed Star Trek, everyone would be 100% for him and Star Wars. However, he wouldn't have gotten the job without it.
    — Germain Lussier (@GermainLussier) January 24, 2013

Congress needs to step in to prevent Star Wars and Star Trek from having the same director. That’s absurd.
    — Matt Yglesias (@mattyglesias) January 24, 2013

Cmon. You can't do Star Trek AND Star Wars. I won't comment until I see EP VII but geez. That's like blasphemy...#starwars #jjabrams
    — Chase Eubanks (@chaseeubanks) January 24, 2013

Wait, can you really direct STAR TREK ~and~ STAR WARS? Doesn't that open up some kind of nerd wormhole?
    — Josh ****ey (@Variety_JLD) January 24, 2013
    (lol @ MFP censoring D I C K )
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I love ST. I hated the new movie. I'm the only one in my geek social circle who nitpicked it though. It gets even worse when I'm drunk. :) But then again, everyone else I know loves Fringe and Cloverfield. Meh.

Thank you thank you thank you! I am an uber trekkie and I hated the new movie! I really want to like it but I just sort of sit there with a 'I'm sucking a lemon' look on my face. None of my friends can understand why, because they love it. It just wasn't Star Trek for me.

Having said that I like Fringe, but can't imagine that JJ Abrams will make anything worse than The Phantom Menace! or Attack of the Clones!!
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    Why are people saying Star Trek and Star Wars can't be done by the same person? That's like saying you aren't allowed to like both.
  • Nerdinista
    Nerdinista Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Because it's too much power for one man!! TOO MUCH! Unless you're Ian McKellan, you can't be both Gandalf and Magneto.
  • nbhobbes
    nbhobbes Posts: 284
    Options
    JJ doing SW won't be all bad... Afterall in the Star Trek movie he directed he hid in the wreckage of a ship an R2 Unit.. So as long as that Trekkie crap stays the hell outta the SW universe (And considering Paramount most likely would love a chance to take Disney to court over some BS I think we can assume it's a safe bet) it should be decent.

Hell it can't be worse than the Phantom Menace.
  • lacroyx
    Options
    Listening to my local rock station earlier this morning, they interviewed Chris Hardwick, host of Talking Dead and many other geeky/nerdy things.
    audio link
    http://www2.kisw.com/sites/default/files/audio/bjpodcast01-25-13-8A.mp3

Besides talking about Star Wars, they also talk about Doctor Who a bit.
    Since JJ Abrams did LOST, what if he reboots it and uses Hurley's Star Wars script? lol
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

Since JJ Abrams did LOST, what if he reboots it and uses Hurley's Star Wars script? lol

Hurley's star wars script was The Emperor Strikes Back... but with revisions...

Are you suggesting remakes instead of sequels? O_________O
  • lacroyx
    Options

from the audio clip: "and cast Chris Pine to play Luke Skywalker" Nerd rage in 3...2...1... lol
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

from the audio clip: "and cast Chris Pine to play Luke Skywalker" Nerd rage in 3...2...1... lol

popcorn2.gif
  • diadojikohei
    Options
    Why are people saying Star Trek and Star Wars can't be done by the same person? That's like saying you aren't allowed to like both.

WHAT???

You can like both????

There are 2 camps in my house, the Trekkies (son 3 daughter mum brother 2 and me) and the SW ites (son 1 son 2 and brother 1)

It makes for an interesting family get together. (hubby not really interested in either!!)
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

WHAT???

You can like both????

There are 2 camps in my house, the Trekkies (son 3 daughter mum brother 2 and me) and the SW ites (son 1 son 2 and brother 1)

It makes for an interesting family get together. (hubby not really interested in either!!)

Haha, I'm a "both" person. Which is fun. My sister and best friend always seem to be opposites. Sis is a trekkie, friend is all about SW. Sis likes DC, friend is all about Marvel.

I get the best of both worlds, aaaaaaaaaawwwww yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhh
  • StrayTraveler
    StrayTraveler Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm a "both" person, too.

I grew up watching SW at the theater and had a butt load of toys. I eventually got into the books and am still trying to read all of them.

On the other hand, my dad and I used to watch all the reruns of ST and the ST marathons that used to come on TV back in the 80's. That got me hooked on TNG in the 90's. And I've seen all the movies.

I liked the ST reboot (2009). Using an alternet time-line gave J.J. breathing room to go where he wanted with the crew. And I agree, turning off your mind and enjoying the ride was the best way to watch it.

How he will do with SW will remain to be seen. All I ask is to tone down the light spots, please. That's annoying.
  • diadojikohei
    Options

How he will do with SW will remain to be seen. All I ask is to tone down the light spots, please. That's annoying.

OMG totally agree! I know it's trendy to do them and obscure the speaker with someone else's head, but really? It's going to make the whole movie look dated very very soon.

I think that's why I dislike the re boot so much, it's the filming style.