I am so lost ... please help!

Options
asdjlo
asdjlo Posts: 76 Member
My 11 year old daughter has PDD-NOS, ADHD, anxiety, depression and anorexia. (I know it's a lot)! Today she was sent home from school because she said she wanted to die and she said she wanted to kill her teacher. I am almost sure she just said these things because she was angry and did not mean them. In order to make sure everything was okay, I call her doctors and a crisis line for an assessment and now they want to have her hospitalized FULL TIME! i can't have my baby in a hospital, she needs to be home with her family and I just don't know what to do. I am so lost and I want to help her so bad but I feel as if I have lost all control.

Replies

• dolly3186
    dolly3186 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for all you are going through! Sounds like you have a whole lot on your plate. I can't even begin to fathom how scared, hurt, frustrated etc. you must be feeling.

I'm not sure what help I can offer you either or advice. If you ever want to talk feel free to message me if you want to vent. I know raising a child with a disability or emotional problems is very difficult.

Good luck and I"m sorry this couldn't be more helpful.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Having an autistic child is a lot to handle. I hate to say this but sometimes the hospitals are the best place for them to get the full time help they need. The PRTF's are equiped with resources that your average mental health and physicians can not offfer. I knoe the hospital decision is not for everyone but it worked for my boys.

Hi, I am Tanya aka mdcjmom.I am a mom of 4. My 15 year old son Matthew is Aspergers and my 14 year old son Daniel is PDD-NOS as well as a learning disabilty. Both boys are AdHD as well. I had to make the heartbreaking decision to put them in a hospital a few years ago and it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. But they got the counselling and the assistance they needed to better understand themselves and they're place in the world. Daniel is a completely different child from who he was before, he is not frustrated and angry anymore and is back to the normal happy go lucky kid he has always been. Matthew understands why he is different and is learning to cope with who he is. They have the tools and the coping mechanisms to get them thru almost any situation now. And I truly believe they will be able to function in society a lot better than they would have had I not sent them.

The decision is a hard one and I know it is not for everyone. But I can tell you sending my sons to the PRTF was the best thing I could have done for them. We were allowed to visit. (The best PRTF's are three hours from where we live) We brought them home for visits and they really got the help, support, and counselling they needed. This options also gives the staff the option to treat with different medications and find the best combination of what works for your child. Not just the standard medications given to all adhd/ autistic children. They are so closely monitored that if a change is needed it can be done immediately. Without having to go thru 3rd parties.

I know this is hard and I will be praying for you and your family. This is a really hard thing to deal with. You will be in my thoughts and prayers

Mdcjmom
  • Candro
    Candro Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello - It is ironic how much I can identify with your situation. My son has PDD-NOS (and seems very Aspergers). Today he was sent home from school for the very same thing as your daughter. He said the same things only he lashed out and grabbed another kid in anger. We are doing many things for him to help his autism and it is a long, hard road. Also frustrating and discouraging when he takes a step back. I can't offer anything but sheer support. Know that someone else out there is going through the same thing - you are not alone. Will keep you and your girl in my prayers. I believe our kids will be fine in the long run. Why? Because we they have us for parents and we won't let it turn out any other way. Stay strong!
  • asdjlo
    asdjlo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies! My daughter has been in partial hospitalization now for 3 day and she is so much happier. She isn't as withdrawn as she was before and is already starting to show progress in handling her anger. I was not happy about this situation when it first occurred but I am so happy we stuck with our decision. I am now certain she will be okay.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am glad to hear this news