Frustrated

Options
merzback
merzback Posts: 453 Member
at how many people are so anti gay marriage. I am finding it hard to be nice to people who say you're a bigot if you don't agree that marriage is one woman and one man.
To me that's like saying since I am Jewish I should be tolerant of Nazi's.

It gets me so frustrated that they cherry pick the bible. It gets me so frustrated that they want to deny rights- and when I try to debate them- they run off like scared children because they are so brainwashed, they have no real reason. I tell them that traditional marriage was 1 man and many women, that if a man died, they'd have to marry the brother. I tell them that we don't stone cheaters and non virgins. Yet, they want to continue to deny gay people federal rights which are about 1700 of them.

I don't want to "hate" and I realize the pendulum is swining in the direction of equality- especially with younger people. However, I can debate EVERY argument used against gay marriage and these people are so thick headed it makes me NUTS.

Thanks for letting me rant!

Replies

• peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I also don't understand why people hate gay marriege, but to be honest it's kind of at the bottom of my list of concerns. I want healthcare, safe places for homeless LGBTQ kids, transgender rights, etc. and I feel like too much focus is put on marriage and not nearly enough on essential safety needs of us instead.
  • merzback
    Options
    all these issues are of the same importance.

Marriage is so important because you lose over 1700 rights that straight couples have.
  • merzback
    Options
    I realize your 19 years old- When you're closer to my age- it will be more important to you.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    If people are so concerned about what happens in my bedroom between me and my husband--and make no mistake that's what's at the heart of all this, along with hatred of women--then I can't image how they get anything done during the day at all. Every time someone mentions their wife or husband, people must immediately start thinking about sex.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    it is rather sicking to me. Take it from a guy who hid n the closet, cause it so easy to get married and divorced---it something straight people take for advantage (i know two marrieges i was major deep in the closet). If and when i marry another guy I want my rights back as easly as i could before. But i do see the tide turning with how the general public feels about it and it starting to reflect in the polls. Slowly all bet but its picking up pace, hopefully next the issue is on the ballot in michigan it will passed this time (it narrowly failed last time).