Food/nutrition tips

Options
I'm going to pin this topic. We can all add ideas of things we find. They don't necessarily have to be recipes, but things we find that that help along the way.

Replies

• Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I use Laughing Cow cheese wedges (between 35 and 50 calories) in place of both mayonnaise and cheese on my sandwich. I don't like mustard. And I can't eat dry sandwiches. The wedges are available in a variety of flavors:
    Creamy Swiss, Light Creamy Swiss, Sundried Tomatoes and Basil, Garlic & Herb, and more.

This is what they look like:
    Wheels_Partially_Open_LightSwiss_b-250x180.jpg

Single_Wedge_Only_Left_Peel_Classic_One_Third_Less_Fat.jpg
  • Julie_Donahue
    Options
    Variety is overrated!

I have had the same lunch (with a few variations) every work day for the past 3 months. (Except one day my husband took me to lunch and one day my boss brought baked potatoes and salad bar.) I have found that is easier for me to just do the same thing every day, rather than try to create something new every day. I'm sure I will get tired of this combination, and I'll change it up to something else. But I find it comforting to not have to think.

My daily lunch (for now):
    Whole grain Sandwich Twin with Laughing Cow and one serving of lunch meat.
    A pile of carrots
    A serving of cottage cheese.
    A serving of pineapple chunks. (I bought a plastic jar, so I can easily take a few at a time).
  • grho
    grho Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use Laughing Cow cheese wedges (between 35 and 50 calories) in place of both mayonnaise and cheese on my sandwich. I don't like mustard. And I can't eat dry sandwiches. The wedges are available in a variety of flavors:
    Creamy Swiss, Light Creamy Swiss, Sundried Tomatoes and Basil, Garlic & Herb, and more.

I also really like using reduced fat garden veggie cream cheese on my sandwich in place of mayo and cheese. I don't like mustard either.
  • Tansy98
    Tansy98 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have basically swapped bread for wraps / reduced fat tortillas or crackers - I have found for some time that bread is just not my friend lol.
  • boobug75
    boobug75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wonderful idea...gonna have to check into those this coming week. Thanks for the great suggestion.
  • brianna819
    brianna819 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Pickles! They are sooo low on calories, salty & crunchy, and filling!
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Laughing cow cheese is one of my best friends!! I also dip pretzels into the french onion for when I am feeling snacky for salt.
  • RobynUnfiltered
    RobynUnfiltered Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do the same Laughing Cow is so much better both calorie and flavor wise on sandwiches than I thought possible. Amazing how much you get out of that little triangle!!
  • Blakelynn3
    Blakelynn3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

This is what they look like:
    Wheels_Partially_Open_LightSwiss_b-250x180.jpg

Single_Wedge_Only_Left_Peel_Classic_One_Third_Less_Fat.jpg

Julie, I just tried that on my sandwich yesterday, I'd never had them before. It was yummy! Thanks for the tip!
  • antitek
    antitek Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    In my case cheese is the worst thing for me to use. I just can't stop once I get going. My alternative to mayo and Laughing Cow is to use avocado. It's creamy, rich, and has good fat. I add garlic or horseradish to give it some zip. I'm also a big fan of loose leaf green or red lettuce instead of bread.
  • antitek
    Options
    If I'm feeling like a snack, it is best to have single servings in plastic baggies. With veggies, it is just convenient to have the stuff prepped. When it comes to crackers I'll mindlessly eat the whole box of that crunchy goodness if it isn't divided up.
  • antitek
    Options
    Ya'll are going to love this tip I just picked up. Tell people at restaurants you are allergic to sugar and flour. It gives you a reasonable excuse to grill the waiter over what is in your food.
  • storywebber
    storywebber Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I never would have thought of using Laughing Cow cheese on sandwiches. Thanks for idea. I will try it today.
    Betty
  • CRKERR94
    CRKERR94 Posts: 3
    Options
    so many great ideas ...i will have to try the Laughing cow on sandwiches and maybe even Julies lunch idea ...:)
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I also really like using reduced fat garden veggie cream cheese on my sandwich in place of mayo and cheese. I don't like mustard either.

I think I'm going to try that, I love cheese, not usually on sandwiches but something of this consistency that could replace mayo might be good! Going to try it, thanks ladies!
  • jenny3073
    Options
    Variety is overrated!

I have had the same lunch (with a few variations) every work day for the past 3 months. (Except one day my husband took me to lunch and one day my boss brought baked potatoes and salad bar.) I have found that is easier for me to just do the same thing every day, rather than try to create something new every day. I'm sure I will get tired of this combination, and I'll change it up to something else. But I find it comforting to not have to think.

Kudos to you for being able to eat the same thing every day! I tend to stick with the same one or two things each week. I agree, it just seems easier to not have to think about it. I get a little bored but I do something other than a sandwich once or twice a week, it helps. When I was on Nutrisystem, there was only 2 lunches I liked, and they discontinued one of them. I got so sick of their tuna salad I couldn't even think about it without feeling sick. I am so done with those pre-packaged food diets. I think about changing up lunch but why fix what's not broken! When I get sick of it, I'll find something different.
  • jenny3073
    Options
    We went grocery shopping Sunday and I looked for laughing cow, that store only had Swiss and I don't like Swiss, I was sad! But my boyfriend ran to the store yesterday and he remembered I wanted laughing cow, he got the French Onion flavor. I love it! I didn't try it in a sandwich yet but I put it on crackers and it was perfect, thanks for the tip!
  • Julie_Donahue
    Options
    We went grocery shopping Sunday and I looked for laughing cow, that store only had Swiss and I don't like Swiss, I was sad! But my boyfriend ran to the store yesterday and he remembered I wanted laughing cow, he got the French Onion flavor. I love it! I didn't try it in a sandwich yet but I put it on crackers and it was perfect, thanks for the tip!

The Swiss really doesn't taste like Swiss to me (and I like Swiss). My favorite is the sun dried tomato one.
  • antitek
    Options
    I've replaced all my dinner plates with smaller 8.5 inch plates. My portions look much larger now. lol.
  • antitek
    Options
    Making choices. Sometimes we get in a hurry or have a craving. Many of you already know this, but some might not so here is a handy list of eat this, not that kind of stuff.

White Rice > Quinoa
    Sliced Bread > Pita
    Mashed Potatoes > Mashed Cauliflower
    Flour Tortilla > Corn Tortilla
    Sour Cream >Greek Yogurt
    Fruit Juice > Fruit water
    Mayo > Mashed avocado
    Fries > Sweet Potato Fries
    Tomato Sauce > Fresh diced tomatoes
    Pasta > Wheat Pasta