Hope I'm not too late...

jkcrawford
jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
to join this group. I am at my wits end as I have osteoarthritis and the pain is unbearable some days. This week has been very bad as the cold weather has hit hard. My name is Kate and I just found this group. It is nice to know that there are others with this condition. On top of the arthritis I have diverticulitis and a fatty liver. I have to be so careful about what I eat. So with so little choices I am having a hard time getting grips on this. I hope I can learn what others are doing that may help.

Replies

• Hi, Kate! I can totally relate. I have Fibromyalgia and Ehlers-Danlos hypermobility syndrome, as well as Reynaud's and dermatographia. They all mush together to create a very hyper-reactive mess. After being on meds for a couple of years with moderate relief, my doctor recommended a grain and sugar free diet for inflammation relief. He directed me toward the Paleo diet, and I can tell a HUGE difference in my pain levels when I stick to it. On days when I cheat I can feel all my symptoms come right back. I would never have guessed it could make such a huge difference, but it has. It may be worth a try.
  • Darlene4prayers
    Darlene4prayers Posts: 148 Member
    There are certain foods that cause inflammation, processed foods, sugar and wheat are supposed to be the culprits. A friend told me her daughter went on a gluten free diet and she has noticed the pain has decreased. You could try eating clean for a month to see if it helps.
  • Pridgenization
    Pridgenization Posts: 65 Member
    Hopefully, the fatty liver will correct itself with weight loss. I have that, too. Last time I lost weight, my liver function tests got better. It is also good to stay away from alcohol and products containing tylenol.

I used to have diverticulitis. I had been seeing a doctor for weight loss and she kept me on a very high protein diet. Because I didn't get enough fiber, my diverticulitis kept getting worse and worse. Finally, I stopped the diet and had the surgery to remove the portion of my intestine that had diverticulitis. It is so much better. Being able to eat nuts, tomatoes, strawberries, sunflower seeds, etc., has been awesome. However, getting enough fiber is an important part of my daily food goal.

I have osteoarthritis and lots of tendon problems. I don't have great answers for that. When it got really bad, I got cortisone shots. It worked for a few weeks. The doctor suggested viscosupplementation treatment, but my pain mysteriously subsided. So, I am still working on it. I know that it keeps me from exercising. I am considering starting soon doing a little bit of stationary bike or treadmill to warm up and then do strength training. We will see if I can handle that without getting tendinitis, shin splints and plantar fasciitis!