Ridiculous shedding

Options
I have 3 cats the Persian/Siamese cat sheds in clumps so those are easy to clean up, plus he is groomed on a regular basis. The other cat has short course hair with an under coat as long as I keep up on the fur buster combing he doesn't shed too bad.
Now for my Gracie she is mostly white with a few black spots and has short smooth hair. I have never had a cat that sheds so bad. I comb her daily and have her on a good cat food and nothing helps. She is a scardy cat so giving her a bath is out of the question. Gracie does have sensitive skin as I found out when putting flea medicine on the back of the neck, she got a really bad red spot that took over a week to heal. I tried the natural flea stuff and the same thing happened.
I wondering if this is why Gracie sheds so bad because of sensitive skin? When Grace jumps off the couch you can see her hair flying everywhere. I have to be careful when she is in the kitchen while I'm cooking because I've seen her hair fly through the air and into the food. I know gross! Any suggestions or will I just have to live with it?

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how to stop or lessen the shedding, your vet may be the one to ask there but I have a ginger cat that sheds similarly. 5 minutes on the brown throw and there is an orange patch, I cant understand how he isnt bald! The one thing i've found that helps with the loose hairs is to don a pair of thin rubber gloves, like medical ones and stroke him a couple of times a day, it really did cut down on the amount that was flying loose. The slight friction of the latex is better than grooming & removes any hairs that are already loose. Also works brilliantly for cleaning up fur from soft furnishings, I was horrified when I did it on a carpet I had just used the vacuum on... handfuls!

As for cat hair in food, yeah gross but the odd one is inevitable when you have pets I reckon and as my mum used to say "what doesn't fatten, fills!" :laugh: (seriously though, I know they're in there somewhere, sometimes...just don't let me see 'em!)
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Well, first I brushed her often. Didn't work. I think what helped was, I changed her diet to a non-generic healthy brand from Petco, and I got her a cuddle cup bed....She LOVES LOVES LOOOVES the cuddle cup, you can find them on petmountain.com. It contains all her shedding she has as a normal cat, and it is no longer all over the house anymore.