Just gone gluten free... feel worse before feeling better?

Options
Hey guys,

So I have pretty bad allergies, always sneezing, red itchy swollen watery eyes, a really bad constant itch on my legs etc. I seem to really be allergic to my country, or state, either one. I'm from Australia but I moved to Canada on a working holiday program, took all my allergy meds with me, my eye drops, all the good stuff, yet didn't have to use anything, not even once! It probably had a lot to do with it being cold there, but still. Returned home and allergies hit me hard. I've been back awhile now. The itch on my legs used to be a rash looking thing before Canada but it went away and now is just an irritating constant itch. Allergies suck...

So my mum suggested to me a few weeks ago that I should try going gluten-free as getting rid of wheat can help with allergies and skin irritations, eye itches etc. So I thought why not give it a try.

Tomorrow it will be a week since I started. It's been a tough week. First few days were a battle, I felt incredibly sick cause I was so hungry. I couldn't move because I wanted to throw up. As a vegetarian I always did eat fairly healthy, with the add in of cereal, bread, wraps etc. I tried to eat extra fruit in the first few days but it just wasn't filling.

Today I'm not feeling so bad hunger wise, I've been trying to eat more, unfortunately I ate almost all of the fruit I bought to stock up on already so now I'm trying more filling things like mashed potato, salad, more snacks etc.

But I have noticed my allergies have been TERRIBLE this past week. My eyes have never been THIS bad. They're constantly swollen and itchy, and if I itch them even just once, they're blood shot. It gets to the point where I can't open my eyes, and the eye drops just aren't cutting it anymore. My mum said it takes months to really notice a change with allergies after going gluten free, but I can't wait months if it's going to continue like this.

Someone told me that this is 'normal', because all the toxins leaving your body like a detox of wheat etc. But is it really normal? Am I supposed to get worse before I get better? I can't have my eyes like this for months. It's becoming problematic to drive or go out anywhere. My sister also made toast earlier, the smell was incredible. I wanted it so bad. Major cravings for wheat haha. Is that normal as well?

Replies

• pickledginger
    Options
    Some people do get the kind of reaction you describe, yes. By two weeks, that and the cravings both should be improving ... unless you're substituting another allergen for some of the wheat, but let's not go there!

Van's frozen waffles has a couple of GF versions -- really really good -- that may help you beat the cravings. Progresso has some GF soups now, and they're great.

One reason you've been so hungry may just be caloric reduction. At 100 calories plus per slice if bread, not to mention cereals and pastas and sauces and such, wheat *really* can boost daily intake.
  • NoMeat101
    Options
    Some people do get the kind of reaction you describe, yes. By two weeks, that and the cravings both should be improving ... unless you're substituting another allergen for some of the wheat, but let's not go there!

Hopefully the itchy eyes are gone in the next week :(
    Van's frozen waffles has a couple of GF versions -- really really good -- that may help you beat the cravings. Progresso has some GF soups now, and they're great.

I assume these are brands in the US? Don't have them here :( I am moving to the US though around June! If I'm still sticking to the GF thing then I'll definitely be trying them! I'm already thinking I'll have a cave and eat a nice big soft cinnamon pretzel... Don't have those in Australia either and I've been missing them since my last visit to the US 2 years ago! Any GF soft pretzels?
    One reason you've been so hungry may just be caloric reduction. At 100 calories plus per slice if bread, not to mention cereals and pastas and sauces and such, wheat *really* can boost daily intake.

Ah that makes sense. I never ate all that much to begin with, I'm a very simple eater, but definitely noticing I'm lacking things to eat without wheat. I haven't tried GF bread yet, I actually couldn't find any when I went looking. I found GF wraps, but they didn't look appealing.... Tried GF pasta though, tasted almost the same to me! Only problem is it's OVERLY expensive compared to regular pasta..