Have you read any of these "Birth" books??

Options
rubybeach
rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
I'm trying to find a good book that keeps an open mind to the birth process. I'm neither for or against medicated or unmedicated birth (although if my past surgeries indicate anything, I assume I'll want meds :laugh: )...... Anyways, I want to be informed on my options.

Have you read these books? Or does anyone know of a book that looks at both options objectively? Thanks

Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin- Highly recommended, an excellent blend of birth stories and practical advice from the most well-known midwife in the country. It does contain graphic images of birth.

Your Best Birth: Know all Your Options, Discover the Natural Choices and Take Back the Birth Experience by Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein- Highly Recommended. This book came as an addition to the documentary, The Business of Being Born, which I also highly recommend. It is an in depth look at all the common procedures of labor and birth in society today and encourages you to evaluate all your options.

Active Birth: The New Approach to Giving Birth Naturally by Janet Balaskas- Some good information, it addresses the importance of movement and involvement during birth. I like that it gives concrete suggestions for minimizing the discomfort of labor and making delivery either with movement, massage, visualization and distraction.

Pushed: The Painful Truth about Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care by Jennifer Block- Highly Recommended. Great information on modern maternity care. This is probably the top book I recommend to expecting moms and doula clients. It explains in depth the reason (or lack thereof) of many of the common interventions and procedures during pregnancy and birth and empowers moms to make the best choices for them in these situations. This was the book that gave the me knowledge to be able to stand up to pushy doctors and nurses, even while in the pain of transition. If you want natural birth, read this book!

Childbirth Without Fear by Dr. Grantly **** Read-The book that started it all for me and changed the way I viewed birth. Highly recommended, though the language takes a few pages to adjust to as it was written several decades ago. This books helps women feel confident that their bodies are capable and excellent at birthing naturally in most cases.

Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Harper- Some information slightly outdated, but good information on empowering yourself to make informed decision. Includes a

Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife by Peggy Vincent- A memoir of a midwife who has delivered hundreds of babies. Some very touching birth stories and some great info mixed in.

The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin- A great resource for moms, dads, labor coaches, doulas, etc. Make your husband and birth team read this book (so they won’t say things like “ssshhhh… it’s ok, don’t yell,” in transition.

Birthing from Within by Pan England and Rob Horowitz- A pretty good book. I didn’t really connect with her writing style, but she does offer some good advice on the emotional preparation needed for birth.

Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way – Many women do really well with the Bradley method of natural childbirth and I like that this system also involves the husband as an integral part of the birth.

Replies

• nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Ina May's is a classic and wonderfully full of info! I loved the book Baby Catcher! It is what really opened my eyes to home birth during my last pregnancy. I hope that I have time to read one or two of the other when I go on maternity leave! Also, if you haven't seen the Business of Being Born Yet, I would watch it!
  • rubybeach
    Options
    Thanks Nursen! Glad you enjoyed them. I have watched the business of being born and it was an eye opener, for sure.
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I love the Ina May book - I checked it out from the library and will do so again soon so hubby can read it.

I've also read the Natural Childbirth - The Bradley Way. Also a good book but I prefer Ina May's book.

I've watched the business of being born, so I did not read Ricki Lake's book. My hospital has a 36% c-section rate! That number is a little frightening for me, but it's comparable to the other hospitals in the area.
  • kmakar
    kmakar Posts: 103
    Options
    I will put in my two cents for "Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn" by Penny Simkin. She's a well respected doula and childbirth educator. Definitely slanted towards non-medicated childbirth but gave me a lot of information and facts that I found very useful. FWIW, I still had an epidural when I had my son in 2009.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I read Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin; it was loaned to me by a coworker and it was really good and tons of useful information that makes me feel more prepared going into my first birth. The same coworker also loaned me The Complete Book of Pregnancy & Childbirth by Sheila Kitzinger which I've thumbed through and has some good info with regards to pain management, labor positions, etc. w/pics.

My husband and I also watched The Business of Being Born which just reaffirmed what I'd read in Ina May's book and info that I'd received from my doula (and was a more preferable format for him since he doesn't care much for reading.
  • rubybeach
    Options
    Lovely, thanks ladies!