Who has used a Doula?

Options
rubybeach
rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
I'd love to hear your experiences. I'll be in a new country, navigating their system so I'm seriously considering having one as an advocate and support.

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I've got one that I'll be using and so far she's been great! She's given me lots of info that makes me feel prepared (have 1.5 weeks left) so all I have to focus on is the labor and delivery as the information makes me feel more empowered and relieves tons of stress and worry. I'll let you know how it goes after the baby comes how it was having a doula, but so far I haven't regretted it!
  • rubybeach
    Options
    Sounds like a great experience so far! Can't wait to hear how everything goes........ You're getting so close now :smile:
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    We are planning on having a hospital doula but haven't met her yet. I would love to hear from other moms that have had doulas too.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    How did you ladies pick your Doula? Did you interview them? Did your ask for your doctors opinion?
  • rubybeach
    Options
    Hi Tina,

I found mine linked through my Midwife Clinics website. When I met with my midwife I asked if she'd worked with the doula I had in mind, she had many times and raved about her and said they were a good team.
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    How do you find a doula?
  • rubybeach
    Options
    http://www.dona.org

Also, try searching baby websites in your area for recommendations. Maybe BabyCenter or a site like that :smile:
  • mpederson
    mpederson Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I hired a doula. Found her through word of mouth and then we had a meeting to get to know each other. I liked her immediately so I hired her. We met another three times before i delivered. We discussed my expectations of her, what services she would provide, she answered any questions I had, offered advice, made a birth plan and discussed any deviations from the birth plan should something change. She had a lot of books and dvd's I could borrow at any time as well.

For me she was my unbiased support person. I love my husband but we do not do well together under pressure and he had a very different view of how I should deliver. Also he works out of town so there was a good possiblility that i would be alone when things started to roll so she would be my support person. I didn't have much for a birth plan but there were a few things I did want to happen. Turned out baby came fast and furious and we were only at the hospital for an hour, half of that was at the admin desk. My doula made it there for the last 15 minutes but I was glad she made it when she did. My husband was no help he was sitting in a chair looking awfully pale and I had a student doctor delivering me. Things just happened so fast I felt panicked and when she got to the delivery room I just felt more sure of myself because she was confident in me. I was a little dazed and confused but she had her act together so when the medical staff asked me questions or wanted me to do something and i was unsure, I knew she had my back.

So when all was said and done I had a quick, drug free delivery. I will most definitely hire her again for baby #2. I just felt, for myself anyway, the support was exactly what I needed, even if it was for a short time.

She also spent time with me after delivery to help me shower, move around, answer questions etc. and then made a home visit after.
  • TinaBean007
    Options
    I took the plunge yesterday! I contacted a Doula I found through recommendations and will be meeting with her soon. Thanks everyone!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I hired a doula. Found her through word of mouth and then we had a meeting to get to know each other. I liked her immediately so I hired her. We met another three times before i delivered. We discussed my expectations of her, what services she would provide, she answered any questions I had, offered advice, made a birth plan and discussed any deviations from the birth plan should something change. She had a lot of books and dvd's I could borrow at any time as well.

For me she was my unbiased support person. I love my husband but we do not do well together under pressure and he had a very different view of how I should deliver. Also he works out of town so there was a good possiblility that i would be alone when things started to roll so she would be my support person. I didn't have much for a birth plan but there were a few things I did want to happen. Turned out baby came fast and furious and we were only at the hospital for an hour, half of that was at the admin desk. My doula made it there for the last 15 minutes but I was glad she made it when she did. My husband was no help he was sitting in a chair looking awfully pale and I had a student doctor delivering me. Things just happened so fast I felt panicked and when she got to the delivery room I just felt more sure of myself because she was confident in me. I was a little dazed and confused but she had her act together so when the medical staff asked me questions or wanted me to do something and i was unsure, I knew she had my back.

So when all was said and done I had a quick, drug free delivery. I will most definitely hire her again for baby #2. I just felt, for myself anyway, the support was exactly what I needed, even if it was for a short time.

She also spent time with me after delivery to help me shower, move around, answer questions etc. and then made a home visit after.

Wow, what a story! My husband was very passive during delivery, too, but that's how I wanted him to be. I would have gotten annoyed with him if he were up in my face telling me to push and stuff. Your doula sounds like a dream come true!
  • kristapennie
    kristapennie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in the process of trying to choose a doula (and convincing my husband we can afford it!) they're super expensive but from what I've read so completely worth it!
    I'm hoping we can manage as this is my first pregnancy and I really want an experienced support person and birth coach to get me through my "first rodeo".
    :)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I had a doula and a doula-in-training at my delivery Friday. While my husband did well providing support, having a doula helped him just as much as me as it was a long time in labor (I was admitted at 7cm even though I wasn't necessarily in active labor, and was in the hospital for almost 26 hours before I delivered). The doulas took pictures throughout, stayed on the sideline unless actively needed, help with heat compresses and other pain relief techniques (it was mostly unmedicated labor until I let them break my water to try and get the last of the cervical lip moved). The whole time they were there for me, provided me with options and information on every option and backed up whatever decision I ended up making, even if it was contrary to my initial birth plan (unfortunately circumstances created quite a few deviations). Overall, I am so thankful they were there and would definitely have a doula with the next birth!
  • mpederson
    mpederson Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Some doulas will provide a payment plan. Mine was really affordable, she charged $350 and my work health plan covered the cost! A friend of mine hired a doula that specialized in hypnobirthing and the cost was closer to $900.

They are there to support both you and your partner. They don't take over for your partner unless you need or want it.

Definitely shop around and interview. You can ask for references too and talk to previous clients if possible. Good luck!!
  • TinaBean007
    Options
    For those that are still considering/looking for a Doula, I thought I would share something I learned today at my checkup appointment. My husband and I interviewed a Doula last week and decided we didn't like her and did not hire her. However, she brought up some interesting nutritional advice that I decided to talk to my doctor about. The advice was sound but when the Dr asked who we interviewed. When I told her she said "I'm glad you didn't hire her because we won't work with her."...yikes! Who knew?!?! Turns out they have a list of Doulas (there is only 2 on the list) that they will not work with during labor & delivery AND she recommended that I call the hospital that I'll deliver at to ask for their list. She said they cannot advertise it but have to disclose the information when asked. Turns out that Doula is also banned from the hospital!

Guess my intuition was right.
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    yikes!! thanks for the tip!