Pregnancy After Sleeve?

Options
The doctor said to wait a year to a year and a half to start planning a pregnancy. My question is, if you were pregnant after the sleeve, what was your pregnancy like? How did you judge nutrition/intake for the baby? I am asking because I would like to start wrapping my brain around what it is going to be like. Any advice, feedback, experience stories are greatly appreciated as I think the pregnancy will probably be different from someone who hasn't had the surgery.

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve in my 50s so no personal experience, but I can tell you that pregnancy can be tricky for people with weight problems. I used my first pregnancy as an excuse to eat and eat and eat! In reality, you need maybe 200 calories more a day -- so maybe an extra protein shake. Definitely nothing someone with a sleeve couldn't handle. Though, if your weight still isn't stable, you may continue to lose. This happened to my niece who got pregnant one year after lap band. She had a healthy pregnancy though. But it was scary when she kept losing while pregnant.

The big issue, from what I've seen with my friends, is taking your vitamins. There are a couple of old-timers I know who got pregnant after WLS and weren't good about taking their supplements and now they have serious and permanent health problems. Granted, they all had RnY, but you don't have to have Rny to have vitamin deficiencies. I think taking supplements is key during pregnancy because the baby will get theirs even at your expense.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    Thank you!