Introductions!

Options
azavala78
azavala78 Posts: 74 Member
Hola!

I thought introductions might be good way to start connecting :smile:

My name is Ana, and I live in sunny California! I am a full time grad student, work 40 hours per week, and am finishing my thesis this semester. I am a little busy, so sometimes it's hard to motivate myself to get up and get moving. But, I realized I needed to change when I would start getting winded just walking up a slight incline!

I am finding it hard to stay on track when I go home to my momma's, have family parties, and other places where food is the main star! It's hard to say no to the carnitas, tortillas, horchata, tamales --- you name it.

Let's connect!

Replies

• Nmira09
    Nmira09 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hola Chicas!

As I mentioned before, my name is Nathalie and I live in So Cal. I finished school about a year ago and gained over 40 pounds during graduate school. It has been really challenging to lose it but I'm doing it. The motivation from friends and people on MFP has helped me tremedously!

I love my comida mexicana but I am finding ways to cook healthier and walk in the evenings.

Let's get started! si se puede!
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I live in the Los Angeles area. I also finished grad school in 2011 - we're a bunch of smart ladies!

I went to a big family party yesterday with a taco bar. I just had one small taco de pollo and one de asada. There is lots of veggies you can add to the tacos (cebolla, pico de gallo) so that's good. I didn't have any alcohol, horchata, juice, frojoles, arroz or dessert. My two tacos and veggies were filling and yummy - probably 350 calories total. We don't need to eat a lot to be full! We can still have our treats and go to parties but use portion control.

I am close to my goal weight and I love encouraging and helping other people. I am using the stronglifts 5x5 program for weightlifting. I love ballet. Si alguien tiene una pregunta sobre su salud, yo le puedo ayudar en inglés o español.
  • Nmira09
    Options
    Good job!

Congrats on graduationg too!
    Tengo problema con algo...working out! Right now all i do is walk at night at job once in a while. I need a good video or something that's gonna help burn calories. Help!
    Hi everyone! I live in the Los Angeles area. I also finished grad school in 2011 - we're a bunch of smart ladies!

I went to a big family party yesterday with a taco bar. I just had one small taco de pollo and one de asada. There is lots of veggies you can add to the tacos (cebolla, pico de gallo) so that's good. I didn't have any alcohol, horchata, juice, frojoles, arroz or dessert. My two tacos and veggies were filling and yummy - probably 350 calories total. We don't need to eat a lot to be full! We can still have our treats and go to parties but use portion control.

I am close to my goal weight and I love encouraging and helping other people. I am using the stronglifts 5x5 program for weightlifting. I love ballet. Si alguien tiene una pregunta sobre su salud, yo le puedo ayudar en inglés o español.
  • claritarejoice
    Options
    Great question. There are so many different video, exercise and calorie burning options, depending on what you enjoy doing. I think the most important thing is to do something you enjoy, so that you will be motivated to stick with it and not fall off the wagon. Don't feel like you have to do something you hate just to lose weight - it needs to be something that will fit into your lifestyle. Run if you like to run - some people love it, some people hate it. weight lifting burns calories and is great for you. Do you love to dance? (I do!) Try a dance-based program like zumba or a barre class. Some popular video programs right now are Jillian Michaels or anything from Beachbody.com (P90X and Turbofire are hard, Slim in 6 is easy). Leslie Sansone videos on youtube are really easy. Play a sport if you like sports or are competitive. If you are a social person, a lot of people find it much easier to walk or exercise with friends (I do). I hope this helps!
  • JavaSparrow
    JavaSparrow Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    hello everyone ^_^

Just call me JavaSparrow. I'm only half Latina. and i don't speak spanish ><

interested in weightloss and higher level education xD
    what were you all studying to be? and what do you think of student loans? or did you earn a bunch of scholarships? (if you don't mind me asking, of course.)
    i want to get my weight under control before i'm swamped with even more school.
    am i the youngest in this group so far? O_o
  • Nmira09
    Options
    I do LOVE zumba. I used to go all the time but when I started working full-time I couldn't make it to class. I think I'll try one of those videos. I need something fun or else I'll get bored! Gracias!
  • Nmira09
    Options
    Hi JavaSparrow!

Welcome to our group. Girl, we can teach you how to speak Spansh if you want to! lol :wink:
    I actually got my masters in higher education- I wanted to work specifically with college students. My degree is in Counseling- college counseling and student development in higher education. I was lucky enough to get scholarships for 4 years but had to take out loans during graduate school. It is expensive when you have to take out loans but think of it as a great investment. Get that degree! Having an education is the best gift you can give to yourself.

Make sure you look out for scholarship at the university/college you'll be attending. There are a ton out there! i hope that helps :wink:

When do you start school?
    hello everyone ^_^

Just call me JavaSparrow. I'm only half Latina. and i don't speak spanish ><

interested in weightloss and higher level education xD
    what were you all studying to be? and what do you think of student loans? or did you earn a bunch of scholarships? (if you don't mind me asking, of course.)
    i want to get my weight under control before i'm swamped with even more school.
    am i the youngest in this group so far? O_o
  • angiebirdie
    angiebirdie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! My name is Angela and I'm from Long Island, NY! My parents are from El Salvador and I absolutely love pupusa and tamales. I have gained about 30 pounds the past two years (10 were after hurricane sandy). But this month I started working out and eating healthier and have already lost 7. Hopefully by summertime I will AT LEAST be able to feel comfortable in a bathing suit. Oh yeah and I've recently gotten into Bikram yoga. It's intense and I think I'll continue as much as I can. By the way, yesterday I went to a cousins birthday party, ate a LOT of Peruvian chicken and the green sauce. Felt a sharp stomach pain the rest of the night. I think my body is telling me to stop eating so much after the progress I've done!

Oh and I've recently discovered that Trader Joe's has reduced carb whole wheat tortillas that are 40 calories each. They aren't the same but a much better substitution!
    Nice to meet you all!
  • Kriver3
    Kriver3 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi, my name is Kim. Soy Boricua! :heart: I live near Baltimore, MD.

I'm so happy to see a group for Latinas. I haven't been on MFP since before the holidays so I'm getting back on track! I work full time and am also pursuing my Master's full time.

I'm looking to stay motivated and lose about 20 pounds. I have a cruise this March that I have to look fly for! :bigsmile: Looking forward to supporting, motivating and getting inspired by this group.

Thanks!
  • claudiavasquez72
    claudiavasquez72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! My name is Claudia. I live in the California - Monterey Bay Area.

I just came back from visiting my mom who lives about 3 hours away, this is always a problem for me because she always has yummy food! I weighed in today and found that I didn't lose any weight last week. Well at least I didn't gain any; is the way I should look at it. I must say that my motivation is my son, I want to be able to keep up with him and live a long healthy life. I spent my 20's being overwieght and I have made it my mission not to spend my 30's overweight.

I do not like to exercise, although I am coming to the realization that there is no way around it. My first goal is to lose 50 lbs! I look forward to hearing your stories, tips, ideas and support to keep me motivated.

Thank you!
  • Nmira09
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

Welcome! It is sooo nice to see that our group is growing! Angela, I am so sorry about hurricane Sandy!

Let's support each other! I want to look good this summer :wink:

Here's a quote I found that really stood out to me:

"Progress is progress. Whether it's 1 pound or 100 pounds, it's something to be proud of!"
  • Nmira09
    Options
    It definitely is challenging but it's possible! What helped me tremendously was the fact that I just decided to start walking at the park for 45 minutes. I started adding more color to my food ( veggies, fruits, etc.) and walking five days a week. I lost 9 pounds right away and I was surpised! The walking really did help my body get used to moving since most of the day I'm sitting at work. I also started taking 10 minute walks at work just to keep moving. Every little bit helps!

I just came back from visiting my mom who lives about 3 hours away, this is always a problem for me because she always has yummy food! I weighed in today and found that I didn't lose any weight last week. Well at least I didn't gain any; is the way I should look at it. I must say that my motivation is my son, I want to be able to keep up with him and live a long healthy life. I spent my 20's being overwieght and I have made it my mission not to spend my 30's overweight.

I do not like to exercise, although I am coming to the realization that there is no way around it. My first goal is to lose 50 lbs! I look forward to hearing your stories, tips, ideas and support to keep me motivated.

Thank you!
  • MarieCoreaa1
    MarieCoreaa1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hola Ladies, I am Latina and I too like to eat my Mexican and Central American Food. I have been on a mission to loose some weight. Last year 1/9/12 I stepped on the scale and I was very sad to see 160lbs. I started doing Weight Watchers online. I lost 20lbs. I have since departed ways with WW. I just joined MFP and hoping to reach my goal of 120lbs by 5/2/13. I will be 42 years old and want to be able to give myself this gift-ME AT GOAL finally after 25 years of not ever loosing my baby weight. I feel better since loosing some of the weight, but I want to feel and look great. Thanks for creating this group for those of us LATINAS that love to eat our Frijoles and Tortillas :happy:
  • Nmira09
    Options
    Welcome! Si se puede!

Hola Ladies, I am Latina and I too like to eat my Mexican and Central American Food. I have been on a mission to loose some weight. Last year 1/9/12 I stepped on the scale and I was very sad to see 160lbs. I started doing Weight Watchers online. I lost 20lbs. I have since departed ways with WW. I just joined MFP and hoping to reach my goal of 120lbs by 5/2/13. I will be 42 years old and want to be able to give myself this gift-ME AT GOAL finally after 25 years of not ever loosing my baby weight. I feel better since loosing some of the weight, but I want to feel and look great. Thanks for creating this group for those of us LATINAS that love to eat our Frijoles and Tortillas :happy:
  • MarieCoreaa1
    MarieCoreaa1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Being Latina you probably like to dance, do Zumba. You can get the videos or the Wii and dance away, start out with small goals. Then to the long term goals, best wishes on your venture! And there are a lot of us wanting motivation too, so stay connected for more encouragement. :smile: you can do it!! Si se puede!!!!
  • claudiavasquez72
    Options

Thank you!

Being Latina you probably like to dance, do Zumba. You can get the videos or the Wii and dance away, start out with small goals. Then to the long term goals, best wishes on your venture! And there are a lot of us wanting motivation too, so stay connected for more encouragement. :smile: you can do it!! Si se puede!!!!

Yes! I have heard from a co-worker that she enjoys Zumba so I will have to give it a try. Has anyone tried the ZUMBA Videos or Wii game for Zumba? I was conidering purchasing it and doing it out of the comfort of my own home.
  • claritarejoice
    Options
    I'm glad to see so many people contributing to this group! I don't really like to "exercise" either. The trick is to find something you really enjoy and make it part of your lifestyle instead of an extra chore that you have to add on to your busy day. Play futbol with your kids, walk to work, walk while hanging out with a friend instead of getting coffee and sitting together. Walking with friends changed my life - it sure didn't feel like exercise because we talk the whole time!
  • angiebirdie
    angiebirdie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Claudia, I have the Zumba for Wii and it's fun! It's nice to do it in the comfort of your own home-- the only key is to actually try the moves so that you're exercising. Sometimes it's easy to "cheat" when youre by yourself instead of being in a class with others motivating you. It never felt like a hard workout, so it's a fun way to burn calories. Def a good start to your work out routine.
  • claudiavasquez72
    Options
    Thanks! I will certainly be trying it out then. I had been eyeing it for the last two weeks at Target. Maybe this weekend I will finally purchase it.

On another note, I had been weighing myself on a scale here at work....well it turns out that it's wrong!! I had purchased a new scale for my home this past weekend and when I weighed myself the number was about 9 lbs. less than the one at work. So automatically I thought "This is broken, it's not working right, I'm going to have to take it back." Well I've been feeling really sick and went to the doctor this morning...they weighed me and it was the same number as my new scale!! which means I have lost a total of 18 lbs.!!! I haven't seen this number in a long time...It really felt good to know that I am on the right track and that my hard work is paying off.

Thank you!

Claudia, I have the Zumba for Wii and it's fun! It's nice to do it in the comfort of your own home-- the only key is to actually try the moves so that you're exercising. Sometimes it's easy to "cheat" when youre by yourself instead of being in a class with others motivating you. It never felt like a hard workout, so it's a fun way to burn calories. Def a good start to your work out routine.
  • VeronicaAM
    Options
    Hola

Speaking of what you enjoy to do . I read more and more of how good is Strenght Training but I do really enjoy doing Cardio and nothing to do also do two or three days of lifting but because I know they are good for me