Velodrome

Options
Frannybobs
Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
I'm doing a charity velodrome ride with some colleagues in May at the Manchester Velodrome, I'm really excited - wanted to try out on the track for ages. Any tips?!!

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Any tips?!!

Pedal hard, turn left :wink: :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    ... and don't try and stop pedalling

or slightly more seriously - have a look at http://www.nationalcyclingcentre.com/p/ride-the-velodrome - there's a handy advice sheet in pdf format on there.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    That's awesome Fran, riding in the 'tracks' of soooo many 'greats' there, what a buzz!

Both of the above tips pretty much nail it, just have fun and make sure you report back!

:happy:
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Haha love it - pedal hard and turn left. Thanks guys !! I think it's the thought of riding a fixed gear bike with no brakes and those sides being so steep AND I've never ridden with drop bars before. It all seems very alien...daunting but exciting at the same time!

Thanks for the link, TBY, there was an interesting blog from the Guardian of a first time velodrome user!!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    I'm dead jealous tbh - I'd love a go on a "proper" indoor velodrome - nearest i've come was an outdoor one - nowhere near as tight or as steep a banking, but enjoyable nonetheless...

Don't sweat it about the fixed gear - it really isn't a big deal and riding one is... well, it's just like riding a bike really. They'll have you running around on the blue line (the flat bit inside the banking" until you feel a bit more confident and move out onto the boards proper.